Wellness > Health

Your Daily Reminder To Drink More Water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Did you know that you are supposed to drink half your body weight in water?  In ounces of course.  For example, if you weigh 200 pounds, then you have to drink 100 ounces of water as PBS claims.  It is so so so important to drink water!  Water helps your body stay healthy, obviously hydrated, and it keeps your bodily systems running.

Water is important because it may help you control calorie intake.  No, water technically doesn’t make you lose weight and it is not healthy to substitute water for food.  But, dieters drink a lot of water to lose weight.  By drinking water, you will substitute a higher-calorie drink for a no-calorie drink.

Water helps energize muscles because it fills cells with fluids and electrolytes.  Drinking water is important when someone is exercising, which is explained by UC Davis Health.  It is helpful because by having an adequate water intake, you can replace the water you are losing by sweating.  

Do you have bad skin?  Water may help!  Your skin has water in it, which provides a protective barrier to prevent fluid loss, similar to when you work out.  Atlanta dermatologist, Kenneth Ellner, claims, “Dehydration makes your skin look more dry and wrinkled, which can be improved with proper hydration… But once you are adequately hydrated, the kidneys take over and excrete excess fluids.”  Drinking water will not get rid of wrinkles or prevent wrinkles from forming.  But, drinking water will brighten your skin and simply make you glow.  Speaking about kidneys, water helps your kidneys.  Water allows your kidneys to work properly, and makes your urine more clear.  

Now that I have informed you why it is important to drink water, I will tell you how to drink water.  To drink more water, you should always carry around a water bottle, especially with a straw.  By having a cold water bottle on hand, it makes you drink more water simply because it’s there.  Additionally, having a straw is helpful because you don’t have to unscrew the top and awkwardly drink out of your bottle by tipping the bottle up and spilling water all over your face.  

Drinking water is extremely important.  It helps your body function properly and glow.  Drinking water allows you to stay healthy.  Keep a water bottle on you at all times and stay hydrated!

Emily Gianni

Manhattan '24

Hi I'm Emily! I am in my Senior Year at Manhattan College, graduating in Spring 2024. I am studying Childhood Special Education with an upward extension to middle school with a double major in English. My goal in life is to teach elementary school and later on, teach middle school. Although I don't have a position in my Her Campus chapter, I am still an active writer for Her Campus! I write about all different topics for Her Campus, anything that interests me or that I believe other girls will find useful and informational. I am a team captain on the Manhattan College cheerleading team, so I may write about that sometimes. I also love sorority rush season so I have written about my sorority a few times. I believe that Her Campus is an amazing source for women to put their work out there and influence other girls. I love being a part of this organization and being able to write about whatever I love. This is the best outlet for me to learn more about my writing style, experiment with different topics that I would not be allowed to write about in a class, and grow as a writer.