Womens Health Week Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Womens Health Week Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Career > Her20s

Words from the Wise: Advice to Hear from Strong Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Adrianne Hutto

As we’re transitioning into a new month and at the edge of 2021, it is reasonable to be a little anxious or unsure. I find myself recently struggling with the unknown and uncertainty of the future. While in these situations, there is not much we can do but I find peace of mind in the words of women that I look up to. However, I chose the words of women that may not be familiar to you. We often speak about promoting the voices of women, but forget to highlight those who aren’t famous or well known. As a journalism major, words have a powerful meaning to me and these words especially, as they come from women like us, in the same kinds of fields we will be going into.  

“Fear means to be afraid. The best tip to overcome fear is to be okay with the unknown and failing. Many people are scared to fail because of the unknown. Individuals prefer to live financially, physically, and mentally in a safe space. Failing allows you to see the unknown and how to strategically plan for the same or similar event in the future. Also, failure creates remarkable success stories,” Anike Sakariyawo (CEO of S.E.E.K). 

A friend of mine always tells me to expect a ‘no’ but to anticipate a ‘yes.’ If you prepare for the worst, you will be prepared for failure and be able to handle it but better but it will also mean that when you do get a yes, it will feel all the better. We cannot fear failure, it is a part of life; no matter how hard you work or put in effort things do not always go according to plan. But if you can overcome that fear and get comfortable with it, you will find that you put yourself in a more new situation that will set you up for the possibility of success.

“Women need to realize that rather than competing with each other, collaborating and sticking together is the way to change the status quo. Women should view success as being plentiful and understand that all success comes with taking things in stride and being flexible. Most importantly, commit to supporting other women and teaching, encouraging, and fostering growth in them. We have to focus on self-growth and encouragement while at the same time pushing one another to be better versions of ourselves each and every day in order to become successful together,” Sabrina Shaheen Cronin (founder and managing partner of The Cronin Law Firm).

One phrase that I like to use a lot is “women supporting women.” Society sets women up to feel the need to compete with each other which is so damaging because when women work together and support each other there is so much that can be achieved.  

“The barriers for women in business are real, [and] these hurdles are even more pronounced for women of color. Despite the collective struggle, it is possible for individuals to break through. The first step is to get clear about what matters most to you. Your career is important, but what do you hope to achieve? Financial freedom? Social impact? Recognition for mastery of your craft? A legacy for your family? Once you understand what motivates you, you can focus on your highest and best use to make it happen and drop the ball on the pressure to ‘do it all.’ The next step is to cultivate a cohort of individuals who can inspire us and hold our feet to the fire on our ambition. Each one of us is the most powerful change agent in our own journey, but we were never intended to lean in alone. Research shows we’re 95 percent likely to achieve a goal if we’re committed to another person and have regular check-ins to ensure our progress. Let vulnerability be your superpower in getting the support you need to shatter the glass ceiling,” Tiffany Dufu (founder of The Cru).

A key aspect of doing well in any field is finding your motivation. Whatever it is that inspires you, is what will keep you going when times get tough. For women especially, it is important to achieve independence and financial freedom. While society pushes back against this, women are constantly working to make a difference and improvements for ourselves. 

“Don’t light yourself on fire to keep others warm.”

This is a common quote, but it is said often by one of my close friends and every time they say it it rings true. I chose to put this quote because he is one of the strongest people I know. A friend of mine spends a lot of time trying to make others happy, and it’s a wonderful trait that he has, but it doesn’t always leave him feeling fulfilled and happy. The problem with placing someone else’s happiness or desires above your own is that you may end up feeling bad about yourself; they said this to him the other day and his response was, “but then I am warm too.” While this may feel true in the moment or even in the short term, at the end of the day you’re still on fire. 

Adrianne Hutto

Manhattan '24

Adrianne Hutto is a Senior communication major at Manhattan College with a concentration in journalism. She loves writing about fashion, animals and food. In her free time she loves to cook, spend time with her cat, Casper, and rollerskating in Van Cortlandt Park.