Winter in New York City: Expectations vs Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The start of December means the start of everyone’s favorite time of year – Christmas season! New York City is especially notorious for going all out during the “most wonderful time of the year” in terms of decoration and celebration, but what most of the world doesn’t know is that being in the big city during the winter is far less glamorous than it appears to be. From the outside, it looks like a winter wonderland full of lights down Fifth Ave and a giant Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center, but the reality for New Yorkers isn’t all its cracked up to be.

1. The Streets

Expectations:

Reality:

The snow is really pretty at first, but after a couple hours it turns into piles and piles of gray sludge, which is substantially more slippery when trying to cross the street than regular snow.

2. Transportation

Expectations:

Reality:

Have fun scraping that ice off your car at 8 a.m. while angry cab drivers swerve past you. Or even better, taking the subway where it feels even more like a sauna than usual because of all the layers you have to wear to keep warm outside. Not to mention everyone tracks snow in the cars, making it a slippery mess.

3. The Skyline

Expectations:

Reality: 

You won’t see the sky for a month or two. It’ll just be a whole lot of grey.

4. Ice Skating

Expectations:

Reality:

Why waste all that time waiting in line in Central Park to spend money when you can ice skate for FREE just by walking down the street?

5. Your Apartment

Expectations:

Reality:

Warning: it’s really cold.

6. Fashion

Expectations:

Reality:

Three sweaters + a jacket + hat and scarf + four pairs of socks. Did I mention it’s REALLY cold?

The city during the Christmas season may be not exactly as glamorous as it’s thought to be; but hey, we still love it even in it’s too cold, dirty, slippery, wind-tunnel glory. So go ahead, cuddle with your coffee to keep your hands warm and buy yourself some thermal socks. You’re going to need it.