This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Angelica Niedermeyer

Winter in New York City can be tough- freezing winds and chilling temperatures can stop you from ever leaving your apartment. But spending time with friends and lovers can get repetitive when all you do is watch movies inside and order in to avoid the cold.

Bundle up because here are some ideas for dates that you won’t mind getting out and walking or taking the train the short distance from Manhattan College and the Riverdale, Bronx area. 

If you start your day off with caffeinated drinks:

• Mon Amour on W. 238th 

Just off the 238th station, this cozy buttery croissant smelling café sells dirty chais and mozzarella melted chicken pesto paninis for you and your girls to chat over. This warm nook also sells wine and prosciutto salads to share with someone special, perfect in time for Valentine’s Day.

• Savor coffee and more on Riverdale Ave. 

An Instagram ready coffee shop would not be complete without its neon sign and ivy wall. This modern style establishment sells Lavazza coffee, waffles, crêpes and more which can be perfect for a quick bite with the beaus.

If you like to browse around a museum:

• The Met Cloister

On a ride on the 1 train to Dyckman Street and a short walk to Fort Tryon Park, travel back in time with your special someone and experience the art and architecture of medieval Europe. With storytelling, live performances, and conversations with curators and educators the Met will definitely warm your heart.

• Wave Hill

With gorgeous scenery in every season, Wave Hill has got to be one of the best places to stroll around and admire nature in the Bronx, aside from Van Cortlandt Park. Located on Independence Avenue with views of the Hudson River, Wave Hill Public Garden and Cultural Center has tropical greenhouses, gallery exhibits, and concert series. On top of that, they have an adorable café for tea time after a long walk around the grounds. 

If you enjoy a dinner date out:

• Kingsbridge Social Club on Kingsbridge Ave. 

An eight minute walk from campus is an affordable and delicious coal fired pizza place with the yummiest chicken cutlet red onion sandwich and pasta dishes to die for. Kingsbridge Social Club has friendly staff and is overall a great place to bring the whole friend group and dive into some parmesan wings or share a pie with your petit ami. 

• Tobala on Riverdale Ave. 

Located on Riverdale Avenue, Tobalá, an Oaxacan Mexican restaurant and bar opened its doors just last September. With high wooden beam ceilings, woven chairs and clay pots diners are welcomed into the Mezcal (smoked tequila) filled bar by warm hostesses and bartenders. Tobalá is family owned and operated and open from 5 p.m. to 12 a.m. The romantic candle lit atmosphere even has DJ Cosmica on some Friday nights, perfect for all types of dates this winter.

Angelica is so excited to be the leader of this chapter as Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at Manhattan! Originally from the Jersey Shore, Angelica is a senior at Manhattan College studying communication with a concentration in journalism and a minor in French. Angelica is also Features Editor of the campus newspaper The Quadrangle, Fashion and Beauty Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Secretary of Alpha Pi Phi Sorority. She currently interns at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the Brand and Customer Partnerships Department. You can hear Angelica hosting Soundtrack Sunshine, as she DJ’s for Manhattan College’s radio station WRCM. When she finds the time to breathe she likes to go for walks in Van Cortland Park, hang out at An Beal with friends, and watch her roomates dance at the basketball games. Angelica loves to write about anything from her deepest darkest feelings, trendiest clothes on sale, and hot button topics. She loves to share her experiences with all of you and hopes readers can take something from her insight. She encourages anyone with a story to tell to join Her Campus and take a chance on the best girl group in college! Happy reading :)