wpid5402 cartagena colombiajpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wpid5402 cartagena colombiajpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Visit Colombia Sometime During Your Lifetime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

First of all, it’s not Columbia. It’s Colombia. Now that this is out of the way, let me bring you up to speed. Colombia is a country in the northern part of South America, neighbor to Venezuela and Panama, and others, where I was personally raised for 18 years of my life. Here are most of the reasons why I think you should visit it after COVID gets eradicated and hopefully, one day in your lifetime. 

It’s a diverse country. In fact, if you’re into environmental science, let me drop a fun fact here: Colombia is one of the most diverse countries on earth, and first in the diversity of birds on the planet, so if you’re an adventurer and would like to find out more about nature and ecosystems, you should go there! 

Colombia is mostly known for its coffee, and without a shadow of a doubt, it might be the best place to drink it. They have their own coffee company, Juan Valdez (that’s why Starbucks had a hard time getting in), and an entire region where coffee is harvested from the tree to the bean to the brew of the coffee. If you’re a coffee-lover, do not hesitate to go; the coffee has its own unique flavor. After all, Colombian coffee is the most popular in the world. 

If you don’t feel a rumble in your stomach at this point, let me introduce you to a variety of foods that Colombian culture has to offer. Bandeja paisa (a platter with eggs, beans, meat, rice, sausage, and pork rinds), ajiaco (a soup made out of different kinds of potato), and arepas (a corn-based dough pastry) are some of the most delicious foods you can try. And there’s more! 

In general, the culture, the food, the music and everything in between encompasses this amazing and one-of-a-kind country that, if you don’t overlook it too much, can be one of the most extraordinary visits of your lifetime. So don’t hesitate and save this for a travel plan one day! Who knows, you might be interested in visiting where Shakira or Sofia Vergara came from. 

My name is Mariana and I am a contributor to HerCampus. I love creative writing, reading fiction, as well as music and everything in the entertainment industry. You can find me on Instagram at marywritingbooks, where I give my book reviews, opinions and rants.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!