This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

I hate to be that annoying girl who constantly talks about how studying abroad changed her life, but it truly did just that. In the Fall of 2022, I spent an entire semester studying in Paris, France, an opportunity I will never forget. I participated in the MICEFA program, an organization that completes exchanges between American and French college students. I was in a group of students from across America and Canada and was able to meet so many new people. Luckily the Manhattan College Study Abroad Office worked with me to make the experience of a lifetime my reality. There is an endless list of reasons that I think all students should go abroad if they can, but I’ll list the most important.

Independence

Nothing has prepared me more for living on my own than doing so on an entirely different continent. I lived in a chambre de bonne, which are the small one-person apartments that were once used as maid quarters. Living alone meant I needed to cook, clean, pay rent, travel to school, and handle utilities all by myself, something I had never experienced living with roommates in a dorm. My parents were not just an hour’s drive away in case of an emergency, they were an eight-hour plane ride and a six-hour time difference from me. I was forced to be outgoing, as I went completely alone. I was able to gain confidence in myself that I would have never experienced had I stayed in the comfort of my college campus. 

One of the main reasons I traveled to Paris was because I have a concentration in French at Manhattan. Even if you don’t speak the country’s language, it can be so special to learn about the culture of a different country. There are some experiences you just can’t get in New York City, and I’ll always cherish visiting my favorite locations throughout Paris. Language is also such an important tool to communicate with others. You gain so much knowledge from spending a semester abroad. I knew many people who had no basic French knowledge, and by the end of the semester could hold a basic conversation in public. 

Food

Most of the best food I’ve ever eaten was in Europe. Not a day goes by when I don’t think about the iconic truffle pasta from Pink Mamma. As an avid cheese lover, being in France was the most amazing experience, but I also traveled to other countries like England and Italy where I was able to try amazing cuisine. 

Doing Something For Yourself

One of the biggest struggles with deciding to go abroad was the fear of leaving behind everything I knew. I felt like I was finally in a comfortable position on campus, and I was scared that once I left I would ruin everything. Not having your family, friends, or partner close to you can be overwhelming. For a while, I was convinced I could never go through with it, but I knew deep down if I didn’t I would regret it forever. Being a people pleaser makes you feel like you always need to be there for everyone in your life, and leaving them can feel slightly selfish. But, my biggest advice is to go abroad for yourself. Out of all the reasons this is the most important. The only person who will benefit from this experience is you, and that’s the reason I finally decided to make the commitment and get on the flight.

I’m forever grateful for the people I met and the experiences I was able to have. If you are even considering studying abroad, I cannot recommend it enough. Take the leap and go see the world.

Mackenzie Boyce

Manhattan '24

Mackenzie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at Manhattan, and loves being able to read and edit the chapter’s articles before they are published. Mackenzie is a senior at Manhattan College studying childhood and special education with concentrations in English and French. She is originally from Connecticut but loves having the opportunity to live in NYC for school. Mackenzie is also a member of the sorority Sigma Delta Tau on campus. She is also part of the education honors society, Kappa Delta Pi, and French honors society, Pi Delta Phi. She is also an admissions ambassador and can be spotted around campus giving tours to incoming students. She is also currently completing her student teaching this semester in fifth and first-grade classrooms at a local Bronx elementary school. Mackenzie loves having the ability to use writing as an outlet, whether that means writing about fashion, music, pop culture, or mental health. She is so thankful to have found a home with Her Campus at Manhattan and hopes anyone reading can gain knowledge or inspiration from her work.