Career

Why Student Teachers Should Get Paid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Emily Gianni

The biggest issue with student teaching is that students are mandated to teach in the classroom and don’t get paid.  When other majors have to get an internship during their undergraduate or graduate program, almost all of the time, they get paid.  Some other majors do not even have to complete an internship, and if they choose to complete one, they still get paid!  Why is it different for student teaching?

When student teaching, these students have to work a full-time job, going into the classroom and being another teacher for the students.  They typically work about 6 to 10 hours of the day Monday through Friday.  This is a full-time job in itself.  On top of this, student teachers also have to take night classes to finish their program.  Student teachers are working the same hours that regular teachers are, without getting paid for the work they are completing.  Student teachers have no time to get another job if they are student teaching during the day and going to class at night.  

Yes, student teachers are learning and this is a part of the curriculum, but other careers get paid while still learning.  Many other jobs pay their new employees to train with them. When comparing this to student teaching, this job is a rising teacher’s experience and they should have an equal opportunity to get paid.  

Many times, student teachers do not get to choose where they are placed, so every day, student teachers have to go to a school they may not want to go to and they have to pay for their own transportation, which may be over an hour commute.  While student teachers are not getting paid, they have to pay for their transportation to and from the school they are placed in, which is wasting their money. Yet, they are not given a chance to make money because their student teaching job and night classes do not give students an opportunity to make money that will support them in paying for day-to-day items, school, rent and more.  Student teaching goes on for many months at a time, which is a very long time for students to not make a steady income.  This makes many students accumulate a large amount of debt, especially if students work to pay for their college education.

Some schools don’t allow their students to get other jobs while student teaching unless they are given permission.  Almost every other major is allowed to work one or more jobs while in school, even if they get paid for the internship.

All unpaid internships have to go and the education system needs to be reevaluated to pay for student teachers to come into the classroom.  They deserve the same treatment as other teachers, as they are working and helping the cooperating teacher out!

Emily Gianni

Manhattan '24

Hi I'm Emily! I am in my Senior Year at Manhattan College, graduating in Spring 2024. I am studying Childhood Special Education with an upward extension to middle school with a double major in English. My goal in life is to teach elementary school and later on, teach middle school. Although I don't have a position in my Her Campus chapter, I am still an active writer for Her Campus! I write about all different topics for Her Campus, anything that interests me or that I believe other girls will find useful and informational. I am a team captain on the Manhattan College cheerleading team, so I may write about that sometimes. I also love sorority rush season so I have written about my sorority a few times. I believe that Her Campus is an amazing source for women to put their work out there and influence other girls. I love being a part of this organization and being able to write about whatever I love. This is the best outlet for me to learn more about my writing style, experiment with different topics that I would not be allowed to write about in a class, and grow as a writer.