This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

This past year has not been easy on anyone. No one could have predicted that the entire world would have to shut down due to a global pandemic. Our lives have completely changed and we have been inside our houses most of the year. When I heard that biotech companies were working on the vaccine, I was really excited and ready to get it.

Why Did I Get The Vaccine?

Personally, I have Type One Diabetes which is an autoimmune disease that makes me immunocompromised. If I were to contract the virus, it would not be good. During quarantine, I really didn’t go anywhere or see anyone except for my one friend and my cousin who I both know were being safe. I am a pretty extroverted person and thrive off of other people’s energy so being in quarantine was hard for me and hearing that there would be a vaccine made me hopeful that life would go back to normal.

My Experience Getting It

I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine in early March and went back three and a half weeks later for my second dose. My symptoms after the second dose left me bedridden for about two days because of a low-grade fever and achiness all over my body. I started to feel like myself again a few days later.

Would I Recommend Others Getting It?

YES, 100 percent! This vaccine is the only thing that we can do right now (besides wearing masks and socially distancing) that will really help stop the spread of COVID. Over 100 million Americans have gotten vaccinated so far, meaning that’s over a third of America’s population. It is important that we all do this so that we can go back to our normal lives. It makes me feel a lot safer especially on public transportation knowing that I am protected and I don’t have to worry as much about contracting the virus. 

You can use this link to help you find a place to get vaccinated near you!

Bridget Turro

Manhattan '23

Bridget is a sophomore at Manhattan College. She is majoring in political science and minoring in woman and gender studies. She loves animals, traveling and exploring NYC.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!