Why Going to College in the City is Awesome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Going to college in a city is an amazing experience. It’s a bit different than your average college experience, but in a good way. There are so many different things to do and so many amazing opportunities. Here are just a few reasons why going to college in a city, particularly right here in New York City, is awesome:

1. There are so many different things to do: From museums, to Broadway shows, to sports games, concerts, and more, you never have to worry about being bored. It’s just a short ride on the train to a new fun activity. Plus, tons of places give student discounts for this stuff!

2. The nightlife is awesome:  Let’s face it, an A-lister club where celebrities party is probably a lot more fun than a cramped basement. There is no shortage of fabulous nightlife on the weekends when you’re in the city!

3. There are more job and internship opportunities:  Having a job or internship is very important when you’re in college or graduating. If you’re in a city, you have a vast array of companies right at your doorstep. Plus, you can intern during the school year, giving you real life experience and time management skills that others won’t have when they’re just interning over the summer. This will put you ahead of other applicants when you’re applying after graduation. 

4. You can make friends at other schools:  Most cities are college hubs. There will be people from other schools that you’ll meet in the city and can visit anytime!

5. Good food: There are so many different restaurants and food places to try in cities. You can find the most unique places, and don’t have to deal with dining hall food every night!

Molly Prior

Manhattan '21

Molly Prior is a senior at Manhattan College studying communications and journalism. With a passion for women's empowerment and lifestyle, she hopes to write for a magazine such as Cosmopolitan or Women's Health.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!