girl power 1
girl power 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Why “The Bold Type” is a Feminist Masterpiece

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

When “The Bold Type” first came out on FreeForm, I was absolutely obsessed. It is written well, features relatable characters, and tells a great story.

“The Bold Type” is basically about three millennials working for a magazine. One woman is the social media director, one is a writer, and one is a fashion assistant. The show is about their struggles in and out of work, including friendship, men, self discovery, difficult work obstacles, and even sexual experimentation. 

As much as this show focuses on sex and men, it balances out because it is not just shallow conversation. Most of their conversations surrounding the men in their lives are meaningful, deep talks about where they want their relationships to go. These conversations can act as a model for how our conversations should be about relationships, and there is a lot we can learn from this show and these characters. 

Kat, a strong willed social media director for the magazine “Scarlet,” explores her sexuality throughout the show. In the time before the setting of the show, she had only ever been with men, so she assumed she was straight. But upon meeting a Muslim lesbian artist and photographer, Adena, while chasing a social media opportunity, she begins to question her sexuality. Adena gives her a healthy forum to explore her sexuality, and Kat is able to make a decision about her sexuality around the end of the first season. 

Sutton, a stylish fashion assistant and stylist for the magazine explores what it is like to have an office relationship. She challenges the idea of preferential treatment from the office romance, and questions if the office gossip is really worth it. Most importantly, she challenges the expected image of a fashion assistant by being her authentic self all the time. 

Jane, a determined writer for the magazine, is constantly being challenged by her boss, Jaclyn. Jaclyn pushes her to chase hard hitting, meaningful stories that help her discover more about herself along the way. By researching sexual assault cases, breast cancer treatments, and even eco friendly period products, she often puts herself in less-than-optimal situations, but she always finds her way out and comes out the other side stronger. 

These three girls, who are all best friends, work together to make their office a home for all of them. They support each other through all of their problems– not just their relationship struggles.

This show is a feminist masterpiece solely because it finds a deeper, more meaningful way of discussing relationships, while taking on difficult topics in a sensitive way. This show is making inaccessible topics more accessible, and making uncomfortable topics more well known and comfortable. This show tells women they are never alone, and tells women that they are never going through it alone. 

The show airs on FreeForm on Thursday nights.

Katie Doyle

Manhattan '21

Katie Doyle is a junior at Manhattan College majoring in English with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She is passionate about women's issues, writing and reading, and is involved in many other clubs on campus, including the climbing club, Sigma Delta Tau, Love Your Melon, and MC Players!
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!