Style > Decor

What You Don’t Need to Bring With You to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

This list is coming from the girl who had the color-coordinated, head-to-toe decorated dorm room (including removable wallpaper), so believe me, you honestly don’t need these things. 

An electrical Kettle

This may be an eyebrow-raiser, but yes. Most likely these will not even be allowed in your dorm so you will spend more time having it tucked away than in use. Your dining halls usually have coffee stations with hot water that can be used for every caffeinated and decaffeinated drink the heart desires. 

Television

In this day and age, no one honestly watches cable television, especially since you have enough on your plate as a college student. When you want to have a quick break, your laptop or cellphone works just as well for Netflix and Hulu binging or a YouTube catchup. By doing this you can also save  room in your car for move-in day!

Printer

A handy printer for those 2 am finished term papers is great until you run out of ink and are running on a student budget because ink is expensive! Honestly, just use the library printer- IT’S FREE!

Iron & Ironing Board

This may be a personal choice but I did not use my iron once, but I was everybody’s best friend when they needed one. That being said if you honestly need an iron you can always find someone in your dorm with one instead of spending your own money on a micro iron. If your heart truly desires one, opt for a handheld steamer that’s faster and takes up less space- the perfect college dorm combination. If you really really need some type of ironing contraption, there are portable mini steamers that work just as well as an iron and take up barely any space!

Lots of Jewelry 

For the most part, you will wear the same earrings and necklace combo in and out of the shower for weeks on end, so just bring your favorite few pieces. And one or two costume pieces for going out, so you are not crawling on the floor of a bar the next day looking for your missing earring that you love. 

More than one perfume bottle

Perfume bottles are delicate and could cause a huge mess during move in, so just bring one bottle. Bring a bottle you enjoy but do not always grab first at home because if it’s your only bottle at school, you will use up the entire bottle by the end of the year. Get your money’s worth out of your perfume collection! 

That Yoga Mat

Okay, if you don’t do those workouts at home when you have the free time, you won’t get them done at school when you have every minute of the day scheduled for classes and extracurriculars. Anyways, there are always mats for use at the gym. Save the room and get your workout in at the gym!

If you have brought any of these items with you, take my advice and ship them back home! You won’t regret it when you are moving out in May and the car is bursting at the seams :)

Ciara Coyle

Manhattan '22

Ciara is a ChemE with a Concentration in Cosmetics in Manhattan College's Class of 2022. She's a millennial pink enthusiast who loves everything shopping and photography!
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!