This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The point of a New Year’s resolution is to help better your life now that you have a clean slate with the start of the new year. Your resolutions can be concrete and very specific, but they don’t have to be in order to be effective. This year, I’ve decided to create a list of things to keep in mind this 2020 rather than specific “resolutions.” It may be challenging to keep all these things in mind due to life’s circumstances, but striving for these things can help improve our year. 

Do what makes you happy 

To put it simply, life is too short to miss out on the opportunity of being happy. The feeling of happiness is one of the best in the world; when we’re not happy life can become more difficult. Of course, being happy is easier said than done, but focusing on the things that bring you joy can certainly help. 

Good vibes only 

Leave the negative energy behind in 2019. Surround yourself with people who love and support you!

Focus on having a positive mindset 

I won’t lie, 2019 was a rollercoaster, and there’s no doubt that 2020 will be too. But with whatever challenge you face, remaining positive can make all the difference. 

Don’t let anyone/anything define you or your emotions 

Again, something easier said than done, but this year let’s stop caring what others think. Their opinions don’t define you, YOU define you! 

What’s meant to be will happen 

I’m a big believer in the idea that things happen for a reason. It’ll give you some clarity and peace of mind if you trust in that. Instead of being frustrated or disappointed that things didn’t go your way, trust that it’s all part of the process and what’s meant to be will happen. 

Make time for friends 

I’ve come to learn that friendship is something to treasure in life, especially in college. I don’t know how I would’ve gotten through 2019 without the help from my friends. Not only do they support you and love you, but they’re there to have fun with you and make you happy! So make sure you make time for them to show you care and create memories together. 

Make time for yourself 

I’ve also come to learn that it’s important to make time for yourself. With the stress of school, clubs, and a social life, you get distracted from personal health. So be sure to unwind and relax by having some me-time every now and then. 

Stay organized 

Buy a cute planner and write down everything you need to do! It helps keep your mind clear and organized. It also creates less stress and helps you worry less about what you need to do!

Eat healthy 

For me, this is always something I try to do year round just because of how important it is in taking care of your body. Eating healthier offers many benefits, such as being more energized, having clearer skin, and just feeling better in general!

Treat yourself 

While eating healthy is important, don’t torture yourself. It’s just as important to treat yourself every once and while and finding that balance. 

Aim for no regrets 

It’s never a good feeling when you regret something. It’s disappointing to know that you had the power to change the outcome of something, but decided not to. So this year, stop wondering what could’ve been!

Take every opportunity that comes your way

This is similar to having no regrets, but go for each opportunity that is thrown your way. If you’re debating whether or not to do something, just do it! You don’t want to miss out, and you may regret it if you do. 

Fill this year and the ones to come with lots of happiness

Going back to my first point, your happiness should be your main priority–– so don’t let anything distract you from that!

As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!