This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

It is quite easy to forget about all the little things we take for granted when we get caught up in the busyness of work, school, and life in general. Sometimes we think too much about what we wish we had instead of making the most of and appreciating everything we do have. That’s why the holidays serve as a good reminder of everything we have to be thankful for. Below I have listed just a few of the things in my life I am most thankful for and why. 

I am thankful for…

1. Family

No matter how many arguments I may get into with my parents or my siblings, family is family, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. My family is one of my biggest support systems who have been through it all with me and never fail to stick by my side. I know I can always go to my sisters for advice on just about anything, and can rely on my parents to guide me through difficult times. I probably don’t say it enough, but I appreciate and love them so much, and I know I would not be the person I am today if it were not for them. 

2. My roommate

I am thankful for my roommate because I know I would not have made it this far through college without her. It is often unheard of to have a roommate who you actually like and get along with, but I could not have gotten any more lucky. I probably would have transferred colleges by the end of my freshman year if it was not for her. She is one person I can always rely on to be there and listen to me, no matter what it may be, and I am thankful for that. 

3. Education

I feel like higher education and education in general is something that is easily taken for granted. There is always something to complain about, like tests, quizzes, exams, and papers, but there is so much more to be thankful for. My experience was a little different because of how often I moved around, but I would not trade it for the world. My education has played such a significant role in shaping who I am as a person, and school is where I met some of my closest friends.

4. Good health

I am more than lucky to have gone through my life up until this point without facing any serious illnesses or other major health concerns. I am so appreciative of all those around me who have cared for me and got me back on my feet when I was ill. When we are young, we like to believe we are invincible to anything and everything that could harm us, but unfortunately that is not the reality. Sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves when we are so busy taking care of those around us, but you need to remember to take care of yourself too.

5. Our planet

It was not until the latter half of senior year that I discovered one of my biggest passions: caring for the planet. I have my mom to thank for this because it was she who made me realize the significance of caring for our common home. We only have one planet; that is it. We need to take care of it as we would take care of ourselves and our loved ones. I am more than thankful for everything our Earth has given and provided for humankind, therefore, it is only right for us to show our planet the same love. 

**

This is only but a small glimpse of all that I am thankful for, but there is too much to fit into just one article. Practice gratitude by writing it down when you wake up in the morning or give thanks by telling someone you are happy they are in your life. In all, try not to wait until the holidays to remind yourself how lucky you are to be alive and to be surrounded by people who care for you.

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!