This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Mackenzie Boyce

After weeks of speculation regarding new music, Harry Styles finally announced a new era with his third studio album. As an avid Harry Styles fan, I could not be more excited to share all the details about his new album and hit single, which is already topping the charts.

Immediately after his U.S. tour came to an end in November, fans began to theorize that Styles would be releasing new music at the start of 2022. After weeks of claims that he would release a song, which was only met with silence, a light at the end of the tunnel seemed to be approaching. A new twitter user, @youarehome, began tweeting cryptic phrases, accompanied by a door with changing backgrounds every day. This was followed up with Harry’s album announcement on March 23, for his new record, Harry’s House, which will be released May 20. 

Fans began to speculate that Styles had been hinting at the “home” reference in the album title for months. Theories suggest that his Harryween costumes, which were worn at his two Halloween concerts in 2021, referenced this name. His Dorothy outfit corresponding to the saying, “there’s no place like home,” and his clown costume hinting at an April Fools Day release. He also ended many performances with statements like “send me home” or “are you ready to take it home?” However, Harry spoke on these theories claiming, “I think some of them [his fans] make me look a little smarter than maybe I am.” I guess we won’t truly know what was a coincidence or intentional, but it’s fun to speculate.

Only five days later, Columbia Records donned posters claiming “It’s not the same as it was” in major cities around the world, such as London, New York, and Paris. If you’ve been following Harry for a while, this was clearly pointing to a new single. For his last album, Fine Line, Styles teased his headlining single, Lights Up, with the similar “Do you know who you are?” posters. 

The same day as the posters appeared, Styles announced the release of his newest single, As It Was, available on April 1. Usually Harry’s releases are at midnight eastern U.S. time, but as possibly an ode to his home country, it was on streaming platforms at midnight UK time. The single is different from much of Styles’s previous work, encapsulating indie pop and 80s energy. Despite the upbeat backing track, the lyrics are vulnerable and melancholic, a confession of isolation and personal conflict. 

Styles never fails to amaze his audience, and it’s no wonder he has become increasingly popular in the past year. We cannot wait to hear the rest of the album in a little over a month. For now we’ll definitely be streaming As It Was on repeat. 

Mackenzie Boyce

Manhattan '24

Mackenzie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at Manhattan, and loves being able to read and edit the chapter’s articles before they are published. Mackenzie is a senior at Manhattan College studying childhood and special education with concentrations in English and French. She is originally from Connecticut but loves having the opportunity to live in NYC for school. Mackenzie is also a member of the sorority Sigma Delta Tau on campus. She is also part of the education honors society, Kappa Delta Pi, and French honors society, Pi Delta Phi. She is also an admissions ambassador and can be spotted around campus giving tours to incoming students. She is also currently completing her student teaching this semester in fifth and first-grade classrooms at a local Bronx elementary school. Mackenzie loves having the ability to use writing as an outlet, whether that means writing about fashion, music, pop culture, or mental health. She is so thankful to have found a home with Her Campus at Manhattan and hopes anyone reading can gain knowledge or inspiration from her work.
Jocelyn Visnov

Manhattan '24

Jocelyn is a communication major studying journalism and advertising at Manhattan College. She's the Editor-in-Chief for The Quadrangle Newspaper and previously served as a Creative Director and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Manhattan. Jocelyn aspires to pursue a career in advertising with a special interest in creative direction and campaigns. She is a passionate writer who is always on the go, but never without an iced coffee in hand!