Ways to Celebrate Earth Day in 2021

The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970, in San Francisco when activist John McConnell and senator of Wisconsin, Gaylord Nelsons, asked Americans to join them in a grassroots demonstration. Here, they would deal with serious issues concerning toxic drinking water, air pollution, and the effects of pesticides. Around twenty million Americans joined them and protested together. President Richard Nixon then led the nation to help create the Environmental Protection Agency, which followed with successful laws including the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Endangered Species Act.

This year, a year like no other, there are still ways that we can help come together to protect the beautiful world we live in even if we cannot or do not want to leave our homes or if we just want to stay local. 

Support Pollinators

Get plants that will attract hummingbirds, butterflies, or bees. Pollinators are essential for creating and maintaining habitats and ecosystems that many animals rely on for food and shelter. Worldwide, over half the diet of fats and oils comes from crops pollinated by animals. 

Clean up Plastic and Garbage around your neighborhood

This is one of the best ways we can connect to Earth. By cleaning up the area around us, we can start to understand that plastic filters every aspect of our lives. Liter can also negatively affect our communities and by picking up trash we together can add a sense of beauty.

Swap out household products

Try to find biodegradable products and try not to use chemicals or plastics. Also, look for recycled aluminum foil, chemical-free parchment paper for baking, compostable bags made with potato starch, and even vegetable-based inks for their packaging. 

Plant!

Plant a tree or beautiful flowers. Wildflowers and indigenous species are not only beautiful but can also attract native and beneficial insects that improve pest control and also pollination. Trees are very important to plant because they capture carbon, cool overheated places, benefit agriculture, support pollinators, reduce the risk of disease transmission, and boost local economies.

Jennifer (Jenn) Guilbeault is a Junior at Manhattan College. Jenn is a communication major with the concentration of public relations and has a minor in psychology. Jenn is also apart of the sorority on campus, Sigma Delta Tau, secretary for SoNYC, and is apart of Lotus Magazine. When Jenn is not in class or doing homework you can find her traveling, shopping, exercising, eating anything/ everything in sight, and hanging out with friends and family.