This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month; the time of year that highlights the importance of breast cancer awareness. Whether it’s you or someone you know, we’ve all been impacted by cancer, and we can all fight it together. 

For me, the topics of cancer hits close to home as I’ve had family members diagnosed with the disease. It took me a while to realize this, but I’m not the only one in this position. Cancer hits close to home for all of us, and its important that we all continue to bring awareness to it and fight it together. 

On October 20th, I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, where my sorority and I walked four miles around Central Park in order to increase awareness for this cause. It was very special for me to attend this event and give back to something of importance to me. Not only was it beautiful walking around Central Park taking in all the pretty sights fall brings, but it was beautiful seeing a whole community of people coming together. Over 50,000 people attended the walk, further reiterating the point that we never walk alone and we can all fight this together. As the walk’s website states “when we walk together, we’re bigger than cancer.”

A booth at the event that I found to be of value was where participants could write a devotion to someone who has battled cancer and it would be tied on a wire frame along with many other ribbons. Again, it just shows how many are impacted by Cancer and how we can all support each other!

So, what can you do? I asked myself this same question once I heard of mine and my friends being diagnosed with Cancer. It can be difficult and scary to comprehend, but just know that you are not alone and neither is your loved one. What helped me was praying and always supporting those struggling when they need it most. Always maintain faith and hope!

As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!