The Lalacoat Watch Brick Wall
The Lalacoat Watch Brick Wall
Her Campus Media
Style

Updating Your Closet for Internships and Professional Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Picking out the perfect outfit whether it be for an interview, presentation or formal meeting, it gets stressful and overwhelming when you just own sweatpants and going-out clothes. I decided to write this article to give you the basics on how to create a professional and affordable wardrobe to easily make you look very put together.

Pick a Base Color

I would suggest choosing between black or navy, so you can easily mix and match different outfits! My favorite color is navy, so my blazer, coat and blouses all match with navy. Later on, I bought a few black items that I keep seperate from my main closet.

Choosing a Blazer

Blazers can be expensive! I remember looking at all types of blazers for weeks, but they were either not the right fit, or over a hundred dollars. Even though it took me awhile to get the perfect one, it was definitely worth it. My navy blazer dresses up almost everything from a Lilly Pulitzer dress to my navy dress pants.

Blouses

When in a professional setting avoid tops with no sleeves or low cut. Blouses are the easiest way to incorporate different colors/prints to any outfit & can be the cheapest way of creating a new outfit. Online stores such as Shein can have nice ones, but you need to read all the reviews! For a safer option I would look in Loft, J Crew & bigger department stores.

Dress Pants

I am going to be totally honest with you, there is no need to ever have a closet full of dress pants. You really only need one pair that matches well with your blazer and then a pair in your base color. At the start, focus on getting a comfortable pair in the color that matches the majority of your blouses. Dress pants are another difficult item to get exactly fitted how you like. I got my favorite pair from Ann Taylor on sale and then my printed pair for summer in Zara. 

Skirts/Dresses

Skirts in the winter and dresses in the summer are my favorite work attire. They are super simple to throw on in the morning and always make you look like you put effort in. I have reused all my dresses from high school events for work and then bought a few that are more my style. I love Lilly Pultizer, but it can be expensive. I have gotten designer dresses off of ASOS and in Marshalls/TJ Max that were perfect for work.

Shoes

Suggestion: Invest in a quality pair of flats for busy days & small heels for presentations. (make sure you can walk in them!)Shoes should always be closed toe if you’re going for a professional look. In addition, aim for a neutral color (my favorite is a soft pale pink. It goes with my navy & black outfits).

Makeup

Go for a light/appropriate makeup look.

Nails

Avoid chipped nails.

Bag

Try to choose a neutral or light color that compliments all base colors. 

Statement Coat (Winter)

During the colder months your coat will be the first thing they see you in and we all know that first impressions are everything these days. My favorite coat is from Loft Outlet that I got on sale (MC students get 15% off with ID) and it is perfect for classier events. The pattern is different, but professional and the colors match my base color, but also add flair. 

Overall I am sure everyone knows the basic rules of avoiding tight and revealing outfits. If you are looking for places to shop on a budget I would suggest Marshalls, H&M, Shein, Zara, ASOS, and Nordstrom Rack. If you can catch a good sale, my favorites are Lilly Pultizer, Loft, French Connection, Ann Taylor, Ted Baker, and Dunnes.

Dayna McGinley

Manhattan '22

Dayna is an Accounting & Marketing double major. She's an Irish girl who loves everything lilly, beachy & especially pearls!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!