This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Rebecca McCann

Are you tired of your everyday hairstyle? Scared to go out of your comfort zone? Not really a hair expert? Well lucky for you trendy hairstyles are not as complicated as they look. 

For starters, my go-to is anything that involves the “slick back” look. This is best for when you want your hair out of your face or are in between washes and do not have a ton of time. To start, part your hair how you like it best. I am not a middle-part girl but for slick back somehow it works. Then begin to brush your hair back, and make sure to keep the part you created visible. Towards the back of your head, you can brush your part so that it begins to blend. Keep brushing until you achieve the desired height of the ponytail and the style of hair you like best. Next, take your ponytail and tie it back. You can add in any gel or hairspray you like to make sure it holds. To add to this look you can braid the remaining hair, curl/straighten it or even put it in a bun.

Another hairstyle to try out is the classic beach wave look. This one is perfect because you can not mess it up. Grab any hair curler of your choice. As it heats up, part your hair how you like it. I find it works best to section off my hair when styling it, starting from the bottom up. To do this I take my thumbs right at my ears and begin grabbing hair until they meet at the back of my head. Then I pull the hair up and put it in a bun. I then curl that whole section in smaller pieces and hair spray after each one is curled. Repeat this process in as many desired sections as you want. Make sure to lock the curls in with hair spray and let them cool. Once cooled, flip your head upside down and shake your hair out with your fingers. Then flip your hair back over and move it around to your liking. Check it one last time, touch up any pieces, hair spray one last time and you are good to go!

Lastly, you can never go wrong with a braid. You can do french braids, dutch braids, fishtails, pigtail braids or the classic three-strand braid. There are countless tutorials online to figure out these braids. You can also sleep in them to have wavy hair the following day. 

Do not be afraid to try new hairstyles! Next time you are bored you might as well try one out. Who knows, maybe you will find your next go-to trendy hairstyle!

Rebecca McCann

Manhattan '23

Communications major concentrating in media production with a minor in psychology