Life > Experiences

Top 10 New York Fall-Themed Events to Attend This October 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

2023 is the year, ladies! You will have the best fall season yet, especially with my help. In this article, I have compiled a list of the best 10 New York fall experiences. Now, sit back and relax as I plan the perfect October itinerary just for you! 

1) Boo at the Zoo (Saturdays & Sundays, Sept. 30 – Oct. 29, 2023) 

Embrace your inner animal lover and travel to the Bronx Zoo for the perfect Halloween day. With this event, you can wear a spooky costume and knock out all your favorite fall activities. There are magic shows, pumpkin carving demonstrations, mind reading, and trips through a spooky extinct animal graveyard. Tickets should be purchased in advance, and readmission is not authorized.

Location: Bronx Zoo 

More information

2) Schmitt Family Farm’s Annual Fall Festival (Sept. 30 – Oct. 30, 2023) 

For a more rustic fall experience, visit Schmitt Family Farm’s Annual Fall Festival. Not only do they have vegetable, pumpkin, and sunflower picking, but they also have fresh candied apples, mini golf, and a tractor ride. This festival is perfect for taking cute photos for your Instagram and Pinterest. Make sure to visit the market and grab a bag of popcorn before you leave. 

Location: 26 Pinewood Rd., Melville, New York 

More Information

3) The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze (Sept. 15 – Nov. 19, 2023) 

It wouldn’t be Halloween in New York without the Van Cortlandt Manor Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze. This beautiful ensemble of carved pumpkins is immaculate for a cold, spooky night this October. Bring your friends and a warm drink to venture into a bizarre, blazing world. 

Location: 525 S Riverside Ave, Croton-On-Hudson, NY 10520

More Information

4) 50th Annual Village Halloween Parade (7 p.m., Oct. 31st, 2023)

The Annual Village Halloween Parade is the best event for Halloween night. Stand along 15th St in Manhattan for beautiful costumes and creepy sights. It’s the 50th anniversary, and the theme is Upside/Down: Inside/Out. Free for all, no tickets needed. 

Location: Sixth Ave from King St to 15th St in Manhattan

More Information

5) Party Like a MonSTAR Halloween Yacht Party Cruise (Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023)

Get tickets for the Party Like a MonSTAR Halloween Yacht Party Cruise for a fun night out with the girls. This trip includes a fantastic NYC skyline and Statue of Liberty views. There will be a fully stocked bar and a wide variety of A La Carte food items. Only the top NYC DJs provide the music, and the dance floor is calling your name. Prices for tickets range from $15-$49, depending on which package you choose. 

Location: 2430 FDR Drive, New York, 10010

More Information

6) Walkthrough of Central Park during the foliage season 

Yes, this one is more low-key, but trust me, it is underrated. Pop in your AirPods, and pick your favorite fall-themed playlist for gorgeous sights and unforgettable vibes. New York is known for its beautiful foliage, so take advantage of your location! 

7) Party at Brooklyn Mirage’s First-Ever Oktoberfest (Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023) 

The Brooklyn Mirage is celebrating its first-ever Oktoberfest and promises to be spectacular. Sip authentic German (and non-German) beer, brats, massive pretzels, and other goodies while listening to a rotating roster of DJs and admiring the views. The event will have an incredible dance floor, picnic-style seating for eating, live music, yard games, and an Oktoberfest-themed environment. Wearing costumes are encouraged but not required. Admission costs start at $54.34 per person.

Location: 140 Stewart Ave, Brooklyn, NY

More Information

8) Immerse Yourself in Dreams of Dracula (Sept. 29 – Nov. 11, 2023) 

Enthrall yourself in the epic story of Dracula with a combination of interactive drama, dance, and masquerade. This program takes you on a trip through history’s most famous vampire story using a choose-your-own-adventure format. You’ll wander through the night, meet the Brides of Dracula, and dance in Dracula’s ballet as it unfolds around you. Make sure to run, not walk, to buy tickets because the longer you wait, the more you pay. 

Location: Musica Club NYC, 637 West 50th Street, New York, NY

More Information

9) Prost to Oktoberfest on Stone Street (Sept. 23, Sept. 30, Oct. 7, Oct. 14, 2023) 

Celebrate Oktoberfest in the heart of New York City on historic Stone Street, which has had a thriving nightlife ever since the 1600s. Experience the tapping of the first keg of Spaten, and then participate in the festivities with contests, carnival games, t-shirt giveaways, and 360 picture booths. 

Location: The pedestrian-only section of Stone Street, between 85 Broad Street and Hanover Square

More Information

10) Carve Jack-O-Lanterns for The Pumpkin Flotilla In Central Park (Oct. 26 and 27, 2023) 

At the Harlem Meer, enjoy pumpkin carving, eerie stories, a costume parade, and the legendary Pumpkin Flotilla! The pumpkin flotilla has been operating for over 30 years and is perfect for all ages. Bring your carved pumpkin to the free flotilla and witness as a 100-pumpkin fleet takes sail. No purchasing of tickets or reservations is required. 

Location: Central Park, Harlem Meer Beach, near Fifth Avenue and East 108th Street

More Information

Ashley Karlosky

Manhattan '27

Ashley Karlosky is a communications major with a concentration in advertising. She dreams of using her degree to head Social Media at a fashion or women's magazine. Ashley's been fascinated with recording her life through video blogs since she was twelve. Capturing the little moments life has to offer has always captivated her. Although she doesn't use her old point-and-shoot camera, she still loves documenting her life via Instagram and YouTube, especially with her recent start at Manhattan College as a freshman. Manhattan is only a train away, and she can't wait to write about her adventures and share her experiences in the city. Her interest includes fashion, music, social media, and food. She loves going on walks and debriefing with her friends about her day. She is obsessed with anything Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, and her dog Remi. She hopes to make a difference in this world through her work and leave it better than when she came. Ashley is excited to write for Her Campus and share her perspective on fashion, current events, and pop culture. She aspires to help at least one girl out there and answer the questions she wishes she had the answers to when she was young.