This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Unfortunately, this year Halloween is going to be different because of the COVID-19 pandemic. That doesn’t mean you still can’t safely celebrate the holiday. There are many different ways to celebrate Halloween without putting yourself or others in danger. All of these tips comply with the CDC guidelines for the state of New York. 

Small Gatherings

If you plan on hanging out with people for Halloween, I would recommend groups no larger than six to eight people. It is also important to make sure that the people you are going to be with have been following the guidelines and been taking precautions to stay safe.

Not Sharing Food or Drinks

Sharing stuff that we put our mouths on is not sanitary and could potentially be dangerous. If hosting a party I recommend getting everyone’s orders first then serving it to them on a plate to prevent spread to others.

Eating Out

Outdoor eating will be your best friend this year. Most places in the city now offer outdoor dining and are compliant with the CDC regulations. I have eaten out more since outdoor dining opened up in the city and I can personally say that restaurants are very safe. Since bars are closed, this is a great option.

Wearing Masks

Just because it’s a holiday doesn’t excuse the fact that you have to wear a mask. There are so many different types and styles of masks that it’s now pretty easy to find a mask that will match with your costume.

Skip the Party, Movie Night!

If you don’t feel comfortable going out because of the rising cases, there is nothing wrong with getting your favorite candy and watching Halloween movies with a few friends. Picking and sharing your favorite spooky movies with your friends might be an option you would want to consider!

Staying safe while also having fun is super important. Make sure to wear a mask, socially distance, and sanitize! Click this link to learn more about safety precautions in the city!

Bridget Turro

Manhattan '23

Bridget is a sophomore at Manhattan College. She is majoring in political science and minoring in woman and gender studies. She loves animals, traveling and exploring NYC.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!