Style

The Key to Finding Good Going Out Tops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By: Caroline Stefanak

If you ask any of my roommates, I definitely have enough ‘tiny tops’ to supply an army of girls going to Fenwicks. Needless to say, that doesn’t stop me from ordering new ones every week. Because of my addiction to going out tops, I think I’ve finally mastered my list of the best sites for finding the cutest ones; and for a lot less than you would think.

When looking for a good set of going-out tops, the best thing I’ve learned is that not everything is made for your body. Some of the ‘famous’ shirts we see on TikTok and Instagram aren’t realistic. For example, the Urban Outfitters corset. As an employee at UO, I can attest that the corset really is something girls of all ages hunt for. Yes, the corset is flattering, but it’s not made for everyone. I am one to say that my confidence went down after trying it on. But I’ve learned that you can find what works for you and still feel extremely trendy! Below are some sites I think have options for everyone.

1. Amazon

When it comes to anything you need quickly, Amazon is a girl’s best friend. Especially for any kind of going out shirt, Amazon has you covered. There are a lot of Prime options, but in my opinion, the cutest and most unique are the ones you have to dig for. My favorite Amazon storefronts for these types of shirts are Alix Earle and Riley Saurage, but there are a million others you can find scrolling on TikTok. It’s worth the time digging on Amazon, trust me. So if you ever see me out, I’m probably in a tiny little top I found deep on Amazon. 

1. Princess Polly

This one’s a little controversial sometimes. In my opinion, Princess Polly has never failed me. Whether I need a brunch shirt or a new party shirt, they always have something. Shipping is fast and there’s always a 20% off code you can find on TikTok. The best is when you catch a sitewide sale! They have the cutest range of short sleeves, long sleeves, bodysuits and strapless tops. Personally, my favorites are their bodysuits. They are true to size and have some of the cutest options for a basic, yet trendy fit. I always go to Princess Polly when I want to look like I’m straight from Pinterest. I’ve trusted Princess Polly for every one of my birthday outfits for 4 years, so they’re definitely one of my favorite sites. 

1. Garage

Garage has the best basics. Every girl needs a simple black going out top. Garage has just about every single basic you could ever ask for and in an endless amount of colors! I love my Garage tops and they’re pretty affordable for a good basic. Some of my favorites are their graphic tees. Lately, I’ve been obsessed with a little graphic tee, and paired with some cargos, boom! You’ve got an outfit! Garage also has their fair share of sales, not often but sometimes you might be in luck. Regardless, Garage has some of the cutest tops that are staples for every girl’s closet.

1. Revolve

This one is a little on the pricier side of things, but Revolve is perfect for any fancy occasion. They have the best range of designers and so many options for any event you can think of. Their extensive selection is what keeps me going back time after time when I want to treat myself. FreePeople and Kat the Label are two of my favorite designers on their site. A little pricey but, you can’t beat a little designer top.

1. Pretty Little Thing

Another one of my favorite sites for sure! Affordable, cute and fast shipping, what else can you ask for? They have one of the best color selections for tops I have ever seen. They have the cutest dupes for higher fashion tops but also some unique styles you can’t find anywhere else. I also love their basics for outfits where I want to look like I’m trying, but I’m actually just being comfortable. Pairing one of their tube tops with some cargos or jeans is one of my staple fits!

1. Edikted

My last but final favorite. Edikted has some of the cutest shirts I think I’ve ever seen. They are one of my absolute favorites to do big orders from because they have sales all the time! They have the best basic, yet unique tops that are so easy to pair with any kind of pants or skirt. Some of my favorites are their corsets. They can be bought as a set or by themselves, so they’re extremely versatile. I think their graphics are also so adorable and a staple for every girl’s closet. They have edits for TikTokers like Jordyn Mannino and others where you can find the best Insta-worthy outfits. Also a little pro-tip; I would definitely check out their site for Black Friday!

Caroline is a junior Communication major, with a concentration in Public Relations and a double minor in Psychology and Sociology. She is also a member of the Sigma Delta Tau sorority. She tends to lean more towards articles about fashion, as it is a passion of hers.