This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

When it comes to the genre of self-help novels, it can seem overwhelming trying to dissect which novel will best help you. With a wide variety of books orchestrated for this purpose it can seem impossible. While there is no definitive way to know what will work best for you, the best I can do as a person who has read a vast variety of self-help books is to share my top three recommendations! 

Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself 

by Micheal Alan Singer 

As a person who struggles with both OCD and anxiety, I often find myself trapped in my own mind, haunted by fear and paranoia. In this novel, Singer uses five different parts to explain how one can learn to break the ponderous chains created by thoughts of anxiety or depression. This book truly invites the reader to grasp the fulfilling life their insecurities or doubts tell them they don’t deserve. However, an important note for this novel is that it’s not really a journal at all, it’s much more like a guide on how to free one’s inner self. That being said, some of my personal favorite chapters from the novel include “Your Inner Roommate,” “The Secrets of the Spiritual Heart,” and “Pain, The Price of Freedom.” 

The Alchemist 

By Paulo Coelho

While this novel wouldn’t typically be categorized under the self-help genre, a short few chapters into Coelho’s literary world would make you think differently. This book contains a story that follows the life of a young shepherd named Santiago, a boy who seeks to embark on a journey to follow his dreams. While on this journey, Santiago is faced with an abundance of experiences that teach him wisdom on the mysteries and hardships of life. As one reads along with this story, they can truly imagine themselves in the world Coelho illustrates so well, as a result of his captivating imagery throughout the novel. Therefore, it’s no surprise that a reader can learn so many useful lessons through this text. 

Self-Care Check-In: A Guided Journal to Build Healthy Habits and Devote Time to You

By GG Renee Hall

If you are looking for a journal full of mindful prompts you could write into for self-help then this may be the best option for you. This journal has three different sections included within it, “3 Steps to Self Care,” “Creative Space,” and “Everyday Exercises.” These sections include portions with helpful goal-setting, decision-making, thoughtful reflection, identifying unhelpful behavioral patterns, and of course, making sure to keep your creativity alive with positive creative impulses. Take a step into your own self care routine and discover how even these small prompt-filled sections can create a joyful impact on your own life.

Natalie Schmitt

Manhattan '24

"Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depths of your heart; confess to yourself whether you would have to die if you were forbidden to write. This most of all: ask yourself in the most silent hour of your night: must I write?" – Rainer Maria Rilke