Ten Binge Worthy Series on Netflix to Get You Through This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Netflix is like a gift from the Gods, especially for college students! Every night before bed comes that troublesome thought of ‘just one more episode’ and of course that turns into hours of binge watching. What better way to spend your hungover weekend mornings, study breaks, rainy days and procrastination hours than watching a Netflix series. I have put a list together of my top ten series on Netflix that I believe every one should watch this semester! So grab your snacks, friends and blankets because your “Netflix and Chill” sessions have just become ten times better!

* Possibility of spoiler alerts * 

‘Grey’s Anatomy’ 

This amazing medical drama, despite all the depressing and unexpected deaths, is going on its twelfth season! For those of you who are completely out of the loop, this series is centered around surgical interns and their supervisors. This drama not only follows them within the walls of Seattle Grey’s Hospital, but their personal dramas as well. We have been laughing and crying since the show aired in 2005 and I think it is about time, for those of you who have yet to watch, to grab some hot chocolate and hop on the bandwagon.

‘Gossip Girl’

Ending in 2012, this six season series is about privileged socialites living in the Upper East Side of New York City. I, along with many others, did not watch this show until after it ended airing, but of course once I watched one episode I became addicted. With some very familiar on screen faces, such as Chace Crawford and Blake Lively, this show fills your screen with sex, romance, gossip and drama and is sure to become your next guilty pleasure. XOXO GG

‘Friends’ 

Did you really think that this 1990’s comedy show would not make the list? Let’s be honest, we have all seen this show at least once in our lives, but the lessons it teaches you at this age are a lot more meaningful than they were at age ten. Do we really think that Ross had a valid excuse saying that him and Rachel were on a break during the “pivot” scene?

‘Sons of Anarchy’ 

‘Son of Anarchy’ is another amazing seven season series, filled with sex, violence, drama and of course, Charlie Hunnam. Although this show is also filled with the many unexpected deaths, including the last episode (tears are still being shed). This motorcycle club will do nothing but have you hitting the “continue” button on your account. 

‘Orange is the New Black’

A must see Netflix’s original series, which will be continuing on its fourth season. It follows the main character, Piper, who was sentenced to prison for a decade-old crime involving her ex-girlfriend. Did I mention it was based on a trued story, that was also published as a memoir? 

‘Friday Night Lights’ 

If you love boys, football, Texas, Kyle Chandler and Taylor Kitsch then you need to start this series as soon as possible. Unfortunately the cast is not the same as the 2004 blockbuster film  you may be thinking of,  but these five seasons will leave you wanting more! I must say the Dillon Panthers are SO worth the angst of only having five seasons. Game on. Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose, right?

‘Once Upon a Time’ 

I will start by saying that when my friend told me to watch this show I laughed in her face. I am not a huge fan of mythical shows but OMG – I quickly became obsessed. Basically throw in every fairy tale you can think of with a modern spin on it, a gorgeous cast and all those evil villains and you have one of the best shows currently on television. Netflix has seasons one through four and if you catch up now, you can check out ABC to see the fifth season. 

‘House of Cards’ 

Another Netflix series, which I cannot even begin to hint at what happens in this political drama without giving away the entire series. Season four will hit Netflix some time in the year 2016, so just go check out what you have been missing and thank me later. 

‘Breaking Bad’ 

I know so many people, like myself, binge watched this show two years ago just in time to see the amazing finale. However, for those who decided to be studious, you have one more chance. All five seasons are up on Netflix. For those who are unaware of the plot it is basically about a daring chemistry teacher dying of cancer and decides to start making, as well as selling, drugs with a former student. Can you even imagine the rest of the plot? 

‘Bate’s Motel’ 

I am a huge scary movie fan so this show was like a dream come true. It basically is the prequel to “Psycho” and shows how dark and twisted Norman Bates was throughout his teen years and how he ended up where he was in his adult life. Yes, it is actually a very scary and creepy show and had kept my interest unlike American Horror Story’s last two fails of seasons.   

Samantha is a senior at Manhattan College studying clinical psychology with the ultimate goal of becoming a nurse practitioner. She is a founder and VP of Social Chair for Sigma Delta Tau's Delta Mu Chapter. She has a love / hate relationship with Grey's Anatomy that includes hours of binge watching through the laughs and tears. She loves NYC, laughing, and going on adventures. One of her many goals is to travel the world. Follow her on Instagram: @samaanthamarie