This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Valentine’s Day, the day your timeline is filled with photos of couples, restaurants are packed for dinner, stores are filled with stuffed bears holding hearts, and bars are filled with singles ready to mingle. This Valentine’s Day I will not be spending any time with a significant other, the second one post breakup of a long-term relationship. This time around, I hope to tackle the day a lot better than I have before, and hope I can help you get through the day too with a few tips.

Take the day off from social media

Like watching couples fall in love on TikTok to the song “thank you for the happiest year of my life” (you know the one), you’re going to feel super lonely scrolling through Instagram, Snapchat, or any other social media platform on Valentine’s Day. So, take the day off. Not only will you not have to see a whole bunch of gushy couple posts and stories, but you’ll also be able to disconnect for a day and give yourself a little social media detox. Sounds like a win-win to me!

Hang out with other single friends

Why be alone by yourself when you can hang out with your friends who are also single (socially distanced of course)? Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be about the love between you and a partner, make it about the love you and your friends share. Do a PowerPoint night, pizza party, game night, or whatever you and your friends love to do the most. This will keep you distracted from whatever feeling the day brings you and you’ll have lots of fun!

Treat yourself

Need an excuse to treat yourself? Valentine’s Day it is. Show yourself some love and get your hair or nails done, buy yourself flowers, order takeout, buy that pint of ice cream, or anything else to sprinkle some joy into your day. 

Spread love to others

Valentine’s Day is all about love, but just because you are not in love with someone doesn’t mean you can’t spread love on V-Day. Buy your best friend flowers, leave a bowl of candy out for customers at work, drop off an “I Appreciate You” card for your RA, etc. Take the day to spread love to others; something the world could always use.

Remember to love yourself 

Lastly, make sure to love yourself this Valentine’s Day. You don’t need a significant other to do all the gushy traditions for yourself. YOU’RE A BOSS BABE! Take time for yourself and take in any emotions you have towards the day. You are strong, taken or single.

While Valentine’s Day may not be full of hearts and candy for us singles, it can still be a day full of love. Love your friends, love others, and most importantly love yourself this V-Day.

Casey Schellberg

Manhattan '23

Casey is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Childhood Education with concentrations in math and psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and exploring NYC. Casey is also a part of Manhattan’s cheerleading team and serves as an RA on campus. She is loving her home as a Jasper at MC and cannot wait to see what the upcoming years bring!