Sweatpants Against A Wall
Sweatpants Against A Wall
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

Styling Sweatpants Without Actually Breaking a Sweat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Adrianne Hutto

I am not typically someone who likes to go out in sweatpants. I generally like to get dressed up when I go to class or go out, but when I do wear sweatpants, I like to style them in a way that ensures I look good and feel comfy. There are a few key elements for styling sweatpants, but before you can even think about that, you must own a pair. I recommend looking at stores like H&M, Old Navy or Amazon. I recommend getting a larger, men’s pair, as they’re usually more comfortable and can be layered over leggings in the winter. 

The key to styling a pair of sweatpants into a more uniformed outfit has a lot to do with what you’re wearing above the pants, obviously. For this, it is important to think about the hoodie, sweatshirt or top you’re planning on wearing with your sweatpants. There are a few combinations that work, but generally, if you’re matching your sweats with a crop top, throw a hoodie over it. 

Also important to think about, is the hoodie or sweatshirt you’re wearing with your sweats. I don’t recommend anything fitted, as a tight sweatshirt with baggy sweatpants can make you feel frumpy or unattractive. Instead, wear an oversized top to feel more loose and comfortable in what you’re wearing. 

Some higher-end places to shop for tops include, Supreme, Palace, or StockX, while some more affordable places would be thrift stores, Zara, or Urban Outfitters. The same goes for oversized or fitted t-shirts.

Another important factor to think about when styling sweats is what you’re wearing on your head. If you’re like me, the days you’re wearing sweats are also the days you aren’t washing your hair. Pairing a baseball cap with a groutfit can give your appearance a more intentional, rather than sloppy look. Some places to look for a good hat would be Athleta, Gap, or Lids, however, it does depend on what you’re looking for. 

I prefer wearing my Yankees cap or my Manhattan College trucker hat. However, the style of the hat does not change much in regard to your outfit. One hat can serve the same purpose as 10 others. For this, I would NOT recommend getting it in a mens size. A women’s hat will always fit much better. 

Lastly, you should think about your shoes. Some people like to match their sweats with a pair of tennis shoes or gym shoes, and while it does not make much of a difference, I think the best shoes to style with sweats are a nice pair of Nikes or Adidas. Airforces and Jordan 1s are the most popular, however, I am partial to New Balances. Upgrading yourself to a nice pair of shoes can really impact the way your outfit is perceived. You can go from a sloppy gym look to a really cohesive outfit. 

There are many different places you can get yourself a pair of nice shoes, stores, malls, etc., however, StockX is a reputable site to buy from. 

Adrianne Hutto

Manhattan '24

Adrianne Hutto is a Senior communication major at Manhattan College with a concentration in journalism. She loves writing about fashion, animals and food. In her free time she loves to cook, spend time with her cat, Casper, and rollerskating in Van Cortlandt Park.