This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Calling all bookworms and booktokers! Strand Bookstore is a must-see for book lovers in the New York metropolitan area. 

This family-owned indie bookstore first opened in 1927. Strand has four locations throughout the city, with their iconic main location just a short walk from Union Square. This location contains four whole floors of wall-to-wall bookshelves including a basement level. Additional Strand stores can be found at Columbus Avenue, the Laguardia airport in Queens, and a small Strand Books kiosk in Central Park. 

What differentiates Strand from other bookstores is their commitment to rare and collectible books, as well as a number of programs that keep their community coming back. They have books across all genres and are proud sellers of titles that may have been banned in other bookstores. 

Strand has a number of events with book signings from authors across all genres. Events are offered both in-store and online, but be sure to check their website first.

Strand offers a subscription program known as the Book Hookup. Listed as one of the top 25 book subscription services, the Book Hookup delivers a hardcover and paperback title right to your door with additional goodies. You can make a one-time purchase or subscribe to quarterly packages. These packages can also be purchased under a specific genre with options such as Feminist Literature, Young Adult, Classics, Mystery & Thriller, among others. The Book Hookup is the perfect gift for your favorite bookworm, or makes a convenient way for you to receive new and carefully chosen titles right to your door. 

Strand’s main store location is home to their used book buying desk. Bring your unwanted books to the store in person or ship them in a carryable box. A staff member will carefully evaluate your books and decide if they’re usable for the store. If they are, you’re given the option of cash or store credit. 

The Rare Book Room is currently closed to the public, but this rustic event space can be rented out for weddings and other private celebrations. The bookstore has also partnered with a number of vendors to help create a picturesque environment while also preserving the room and the books in it.

Strand also offers Library Services where they help place their new and used books in libraries for low prices.

If you’re in need of a new read (or five) be sure to visit Strand. Keep up with the latest at Strand by following them on social media, @strandbookstore. 

Jocelyn Visnov

Manhattan '24

Jocelyn is a communication major studying journalism and advertising at Manhattan College. She's the Editor-in-Chief for The Quadrangle Newspaper and previously served as a Creative Director and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Manhattan. Jocelyn aspires to pursue a career in advertising with a special interest in creative direction and campaigns. She is a passionate writer who is always on the go, but never without an iced coffee in hand!