This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Choosing a remote status for this semester was a very difficult decision. I knew that I had to do it because some of my family members are in the high-risk category, and I didn’t want to potentially spread the virus to them. However, I knew that it would be hard for me to not fall depressive state while staying remote. Quarantine can be very isolating and some weeks will be better than others. Balancing school on top of everything happening at home isn’t easy, but I’ve found habits that work for me. 

Waking up early 

Some days I don’t have class until later on in the day so I could wake up at noon and still have time to kill. I don’t allow myself to sleep past 10 a.m. and immediately get out of bed. I have a morning routine that involves skincare, dental care, food, vitamins, reading, and showering. This routine takes about an hour and a half. Then I work on assignments or workouts. 

Keeping yourself busy

I am a firm believer in the power of discipline and routine. Growing up, I had to catch a bus to go to school at 5:30 a.m. every day, and I’d get back home to do homework at 7 p.m. because of after school sports. This routine gave me purpose and allowed me to feel content at the end of each day. College is a great place to join all different types of clubs and organizations. Even if it’s virtual, this is a great time to sign up for a retreat, or join any club because it helps you block out your days. 

Be compassionate with yourself 

This is one that I struggle with. I always feel like being compassionate with myself is an excuse to be lazy and not take control of my life. But if this pandemic has shown me anything it’s that we don’t have much control over our lives. For example, just six months ago I was planning a trip abroad and now my passport can pretty much get me nowhere. On the days you feel yourself spiraling, tell yourself that your emotions are valid and do whatever you need to give yourself happiness at that moment. Bake a cake, watch a movie or cry it out. It’s okay. 

Keep a clean and neat space for class 

Designate a place that you will be taking your classes from and keep it clean. Make sure you are organized with your due dates and notes. It should be comfortable and inviting. I have been using a lap desk and its actually pretty useful for the days that you need some extra time in bed. But always remember to get up and do at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day. 

Take care of yourself 

If you have gained a few pounds in quarantine do not be alarmed. Our bodies react to stress in different ways. Even if we all ate the same foods every day our bodies wouldn’t all be the same. This step is more centered around taking care of yourself. Take your vitamins, go for long walks, give your skin, hair and nails love! This is the time to give your body the attention it wants. 

Overall, being a remote student has its ups and downs. It will take some getting used to but there are real benefits to being remote and you have to focus on them. If you focus on the good, the good gets better.

Alana Pons

Manhattan '22

Hi everyone! My name is Alana Pons. I grew up in NYC and went to high school on the upper east side. I’ve always loved everything about the city and am really passionate about finding the best spots for food, art, pictures and fun!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!