Career

Senior Scaries: Preparing for One of the Best and Most Stressful Years of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Casey Schellberg

Class of 2023, we made it to senior year! While we all probably want to live our best lives this year, making memories with friends, exploring the city and partying all weekend, you probably feel the stress hanging over your head that comes with our final year at MC. Your parents are probably already asking where you want to live and work next year, if you want to continue your education, and why you’re still single all while you’re trying to finish you senior project. We have 9 months till we’re thrown out into the real world, and while the senior scaries are real, here are some ways you can prepare to ace this year.

Network as much as possible. We’ve all heard the saying, “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” While this doesn’t mean you should blow off all your classes, it does mean you should take any opportunity to meet and work with people in your field. Go to that career fair, take the internship, and keep up with LinkedIn; you never know who might have your dream job opportunity waiting for you. 

Get job/grad school applications in order. This year is going to fly by. Before we know it, it will be March and everyone will be posting about their new job or admission into a graduate program. Start taking time now to work on applications, certification exams, and portfolios so you are ready to start submitting come the new year. 

Talk to your advisors or mentors. Although it may seem like we only need to meet with our advisors to sign our registration paper now that we’ve mastered campus life, you might want to meet with them a few more times this year. Remember, they have been working in the field you are just starting out in for many years. Talk to them about what you see yourself doing in the next couple years, any backup plans, and companies you are looking at. They will be your best friend along this journey, and might even have some contacts for you!

Update and prepare your resume. Now that we’re starting to look for full-time job positions, this is the perfect time to update your resume. Make an appointment with a Peer Career Advisor to help make your resume stand out of the pile. They can also help you make multiple copies of your resume, one tailored toward each application/job type. It’s time to take off those high school involvements and show these companies why you are amazing. 

Senior year bucket list. While preparing for our future, we can get lost in all the stress and uncertainty. A senior year must-do is to create a bucket list. Get together with your best friend, or even by yourself, and write down all the things you haven’t yet done or would like to do before you graduate. This will be a constant reminder to take some time for yourself and fun during what will probably be the most challenging year yet. 

I hope these tips help ease your senior scaries as we embark on our final journey here at Manhattan. Cheers to us, class of 2023!

Casey Schellberg

Manhattan '23

Casey is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Childhood Education with concentrations in math and psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and exploring NYC. Casey is also a part of Manhattan’s cheerleading team and serves as an RA on campus. She is loving her home as a Jasper at MC and cannot wait to see what the upcoming years bring!