Culture > Digital

Scrolling with Purpose: Social Media’s Impact on Your Digital Wellbeing 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

In today’s excessively tech-driven world, many of us can’t resist the allure of scrolling through our social media feeds. Minutes turn into hours, and even our self-imposed restrictions seem to vanish into thin air, thanks to the irresistible grip of the TikTok algorithm. Rarely ever do we stop ourselves and think, “How is this affecting my life?” This article explores the unique ways these platforms impact our day-to-day well-being and offers some practical tips to help you navigate them in a way that feels just right for you.

The Real Impact of Social Media

• Real vs. Perfect: Beyond the flawless models and influencers who can somehow afford trips to Europe every weekend, let’s talk about authenticity. Life isn’t just about highlight reels, fancy trips, or diets that will make you look like Kendall Jenner in three days.  It’s important to remember that it’s okay to be real and embrace the things that make you, you. Create your own path to digital wellness that reflects your unique self.
  • Breaking Free of the Bubble: Social media can sometimes feel like a bubble, but it’s also a place to discover new perspectives. Follow accounts that challenge your thinking and introduce you to fresh ideas. Engaging with different viewpoints can add depth to your digital life, and be a safe place to expand yourself. 

Practical Steps for Digital Wellness

• Mindful Scrolling: Forget strict screen time limits. Instead, practice mindful scrolling. When you quit social media cold turkey, it will feel like an impossible feat. Take it step by step, slowly limiting your usage and paying attention to how you feel during and after your time online. 
  • Digital Detox Days: Sometimes, it’s good to take a break from the digital world. Unplug for a while and reconnect with yourself, your creativity, and the world around you in a way that feels uniquely fulfilling. Find the things that truly matter to you. 

Crafting Your Own Digital Wellness Strategy

Your digital wellness journey is as personal as your favorite playlist. It’s about shaping a digital experience that aligns with your values and aspirations. Here are some ideas to get you started:

• Create Your Personal “Inspiration Feed”: Don’t let algorithms dictate what you see, take control. Curate your social media feed intentionally.  Follow accounts that inspire you, make you think, or align with your interests. This can be a game changer when it comes to personal growth. 
  • Balancing Online and Offline: Find the balance that works for you. Embrace your online adventures, but don’t forget to savor real-life moments. Remember that you can capture memories with your phone, but also be fully present in them. 
  • Turning Challenges into Opportunities: Try using negative experiences online as opportunities for personal growth. Develop resilience by responding constructively to criticism and understanding that not everyone will appreciate your unique self. Those people are ultimately not the people you want to surround yourself with. 

In an extremely interconnected online society, finding time for yourself is challenging. Try to embrace the flow of social media, make conscious choices, and create a digital space that empowers and enhances your everyday life. Your digital wellness path is ever-evolving, and it’s yours to curate. 

Jessie Loch

Manhattan '25

Jessie is a Junior at Manhattan College studying Marketing with a minor in Sociology. She loves snowboarding, Film and spending time with her friends and family. She is super excited to be a part of HerCampus!