sororityrush hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sororityrush hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Rushing a Sorority at Manhattan College During the Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Going into college, I knew I wanted to join a sorority. Luckily, Manhattan College has one really big sorority on campus: Sigma Delta Tau (SDT). At Manhattan College, you can only rush for SDT as a second semester freshman, which is exactly what I did. Rushing is a really exciting experience, and there are normally tons of in person events to partake in. The only difference is that I rushed during the coronavirus pandemic. 

The pandemic changed the way girls rushed for SDT in 2021: all of our events were remote. The sorority decided to be remote during the 2020-2021 school year because of the safety for all of the girls. The sorority on campus is huge so it would be unsafe to meet in person with sixty girls for meetings. 

Rush week included three days of different events and games: we played virtual games like Pictionary and we were asked different questions so the sorority sisters could get to know us better. It was really exciting because even though we were online, we still had a theme for our rush week: the 70s. Rush week wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be: everyone was really accepting and welcoming. Rush week ended with bid night, which is the last day of recruitment for a sorority. Thankfully, I made it past rush week and became a new member! 

As a new member, I wasn’t thrown into the sorority all at once; instead, I started my new member process. Previous members continued to have their meetings, and we had new member meetings. At these meetings, we were given different dates of events we had to participate in. 

The most exciting part of joining a sorority to me was getting a big sister. We went on sister dates virtually to meet different big sisters. We did speed dating, Pictionary again (it was a fan favorite game), a netflix party, and more during these sister dates. We ranked who we wanted to be our big sisters, and the big sisters ranked who they wanted to be the little sisters. When it was decided who was paired with who, the big sisters made us Instagram accounts and gave clues of who they were. 

We had a “Guess Who” game for the littles to pick the bigs. I knew who my big was right away, and I was beyond excited. Big sisters also give little sisters amazing gifts and my big sister went above and beyond for me. Before this school year ends, big sisters and little sisters will meet up to exchange gifts: a pillow from the big sister and paddles for the little sisters. 

Rushing Sigma Delta Tau was one of the best experiences I have chosen to do in college. Joining a sorority has given me an endless supply of best friends and sisters that I never thought I was going to have.

Emily Gianni

Manhattan '24

Hi I'm Emily! I am in my Senior Year at Manhattan College, graduating in Spring 2024. I am studying Childhood Special Education with an upward extension to middle school with a double major in English. My goal in life is to teach elementary school and later on, teach middle school. Although I don't have a position in my Her Campus chapter, I am still an active writer for Her Campus! I write about all different topics for Her Campus, anything that interests me or that I believe other girls will find useful and informational. I am a team captain on the Manhattan College cheerleading team, so I may write about that sometimes. I also love sorority rush season so I have written about my sorority a few times. I believe that Her Campus is an amazing source for women to put their work out there and influence other girls. I love being a part of this organization and being able to write about whatever I love. This is the best outlet for me to learn more about my writing style, experiment with different topics that I would not be allowed to write about in a class, and grow as a writer.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!