This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

If you go to school at least a few hours away from home, you might be familiar with the Megabus.  It’s a double-decker bus that’s kind of smelly, and kind of nice.  I take the Megabus whenever there is a break longer than the weekend.  My trip is from New York to Pittsburgh and back.  On my way back to New York from Pittsburth on Columbus Day, I made a list of the pros and cons of the infamous Megabus.  Enjoy!

Pros:

1. Affordable

There is absolutely no denying that this is the cheapest way to get anywhere, I swear.  One time, I made it home to Pittsburgh for spring break for $30 round trip (well worth the cons).  If you have a long trip, this is honestly the most inexpensive way to make it there.  Of course, you could spend a bit more on a plane ticket or for a train, but for round trip tickets as low as $30 and for holiday tickets as high as $150 round trip, it’s really hard to beat.  This is definitely a Pro. 

2. Pretty Scenery

Now, I can’t say this is true for all of the Megabus trips, but for me, it’s great.  The bus tends to take less populated (and less tolled) highways, making them pretty freakin’ scenic.  The bus from Pittsburgh to New York goes through a few state parks and really doesn’t shy away from covering the most beautiful parts of Pennsylvania.  It makes the trip better.  Sometimes highways get monotonous, so this is a plus. 

3. You Get What you Pay For

Despite how this might sound, it’s not a con.  What more could you need?  It’s obviously not going to be a luxury experience, but it gets the job done.  Simply put, it gets you where you need to go and is worth the money you put into it.  It’s pretty easy to get on (just show the driver your code from purchase).  All you really need are some wheels and gas.  We’re in college, there’s no need to get a first-class plane ride.  Make the best of it, fall asleep, and before you know it you’re home.

Cons:

1. Uncomfortable

My trip is 8 hours long.  That’s essentially a whole days worth of not moving very much.  The seats are hard, they don’t recline much, and there is not sufficient legroom.  There is also no way around this.  Like I said above, it’s not a luxury bus, but it get’s you where you need to go.  Depending on how long the trip is, there may be a rest stop (get out and stretch!)  The bathroom on the bus is a rough time.  It’s basically a Porta Potty, which may or may not flush with some blue goo, but atleast there is a really terrifying handgrip in the bathroom so you don’t fall when the bus is moving.  This is especially uncomfortable for girls.  Use the bathroom before you get on, or go at the rest stop.  Trust me. 

2.  It’s Either Freezing or Sweltering

Every time I get on the bus, the driver says that they “can’t control the temperature”.  They can, it’s all a lie!  The thing is, no one really wants to get up and say anything.  We all just deal.  The bus is either chilly to the point that it makes you shiver, or so hot that it makes you want to take your clothes off.  Sometimes, it’s both.  My best advice is to wear a coat, but have a lighter layer on underneath so that you can handle the temperature changes. 

3. Odd People

This is not always a bad thing.  It’s inevitable that there are going to be strangers on the bus.  Sometimes we can choose who we sit next to, but sometimes the strangers choose us.  Now, we don’t want to be rude, so we let it happen.  Usually, they just smell weird or snore or never sleep.  Occasionally you’ll get a talker that prevents you from doing anything but paying attention to them.  In cases like this, be rude if you need to.  Ignore them, do what you have to do.  This bus is open to the public and you are bound to encounter a few strange souls.  Other than that, be open to actually meeting someone interesting.  Sometimes, a stranger can turn into a friend. 

Do the Pros outweigh the Cons?  It’s hard to tell.  For me, yes they do.  I’d rather save some money and be slightly uncomfortable.  The bus gets me where I need to go in the allotted amount of time and does it safely.  

Alex is a Junior at Manhattan College studying Marketing and Psychology. She likes good movies, good music, great friends, and long walks on the beach. Enjoy ~~~