Prepare Yourself: Spring Registration is Coming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Almost in the blink of an eye, it’s time to start meeting with advisors and registering for classes. You might have a class wishlist in mind or you might not, but with these tips you’ll be ready to take on the spring semester in no time!

1. Find out who your advisor is

Before even getting started, it’s important to know who will be advising you in the upcoming weeks. Your advisors will be able to answer any and all questions you have when it comes to registering for classes and will be happy to help. At Manhattan, your advisors are professors in your specific major. So if you’re majoring in communications, you’ll have a professor in the communications department avaliable to help out. If you’re unsure of who your advisor is, reach out to the Dean of your specific school.

2. Start looking at the catalog 

The course catalog will be your best friend during this time. Get an idea of what classes you want to take, classes to take to continue on in your major or minor or required courses that are mandatory. By having an idea of what you want/need to take, you’ll be prepared when it comes to actually making your schedule.

3. Look up classes on Self-Service

On Self-Service, you can now look up classes being offered in the next semester. Go to Self-Service -> Student -> Registration -> Look up classes. This takes #2 a step further, by actually seeing which classes you can or cannot take. If a class isn’t offered, it could mess up the schedule you had in mind, so it’s good to be prepared.

4. Make a mock-schedule

By looking up classes, you can also see what days the class is on and at what time. Then, you can make a schedule online to see if anything overlaps or which days you don’t want classes. The mock-schedule allows you to see what your next semester will look like so you can decide if you want so many classes on a Monday or if you want any classes on a Friday.

5. Meet with your advisor and get your registration form signed

Once you meet with your advisor, you’ll need to get them to sign your registration form. You can’t register for classes on the set dates until your advisor signs off on the classes you are planning to take. 

6. Finally, register for your classes!

If you’re a Senior, you get the advantage of having the first choice when it comes to signing up for classes. The schedule for priority registration for this year is:

Monday, November 2 @7am- Seniors/Students with 90 or more credits/Athletes/Priority SCPS Division/Graduate Division

Wednesday, November 4 @7am- Juniors/Students with 60-89 credits

Friday, November 6 @7am- Sophomores/Students with 27-59 credits

Monday, November 9 @7am- Freshman/Students with 0-26 credits

(Information from the Registrar Office)

Good luck on registration! 

Class of 2019. Communication Major. Film Studies/Digital Media Art Minor. Maryland girl exploring NYC and writing all about it! Follow me on Instagram: @taylorbrethauer and Twitter: @itstaybytheway Stalk my photography blog here: throughtaylorsviewfinder.tumblr.com