This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By, Bridget Turro

New York City can be overwhelming for anyone at times. Especially if you have never lived here and moved here for college, it can be a lot to get used to all the hustle and bustle. I recently moved to Manhattan after living in the Bronx. Manhattan is a busy place and it can be hard to find places that are peaceful and quiet. I made a list of some of my favorite places in the city that I like to go to when I feel overwhelmed.

1. Tompkins Square Park

Located in the East Village, Tompkins is a park that’s full of culture and history. It is also a great place to lay down a blanket and read a book under the tree in the grass. It’s a lot less busy than Washington Square Park with also great food options around.

1. McNally Jackson Books

There are a few locations of this independent bookstore throughout the city and it is my favorite place to browse for new books. They also have a cafe that is attached and it’s a great place to unwind and enjoy some quiet time.

1. Van Cortland Park

Van Cortland is a beautiful park right across the street from campus and one of the best places to relax after sitting in classes. I feel like every time I go it is super sunny and beautiful outside.

1. Strawberry Fields, Central Park

Strawberry fields is located on the west side of the park on 72nd. If you are a Beatles fan, you will recognize this place, but it’s one of my favorite places to go and relax and find quiet in a busy city

1. Wave Hill

Located in Riverdale, Wave Hill is an escape from the city. With beautiful views of the Hudson River and surrounded by greenery, Wave hill is a place that is definitely worth checking out if you need an escape but not travel far.

Bridget Turro

Manhattan '23

Bridget is a sophomore at Manhattan College. She is majoring in political science and minoring in woman and gender studies. She loves animals, traveling and exploring NYC.