This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The holiday season is such a special time of year and if you’re like me your countdown to Christmas started as soon as last year’s holiday ended. While this year the pandemic definitely infringes upon the ability to spend time with family and friends, it does not mean you can’t be cheerful this time of year. Here’s a guide to maintaining holiday traditions during the coronavirus.

Have a Movie Marathon

The job of picking a favorite holiday movie is nearly impossible so why pick just one? Whether you’re curled up on the couch with your family or virtually streaming with friends through websites like Netflix Party, this is a perfect way to celebrate the season. Arranging a schedule with friends and family can help you to maximize your viewing and allow you to get the most out of the holiday season.

Drive Around to see Christmas Lights

If you’re tired of being pent up in your house, this is the best way to go out and stay safe. Blast your favorite holiday tunes (whether that be All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey or Mistletoe by Justin Bieber) and take a drive through your neighborhood. While having your own mini-concert, you can admire the selection of decorations adorned throughout your town and really feel the holiday cheer. 

Try Baking Cookies 

One of my favorite parts of the holiday season is eating cookies. Whether it’s with your family or on Zoom with your friends, there is nothing stopping you from getting in the kitchen and whipping up some amazing treats. Whether you are secretly destined to be on Cake Boss or more of a danger in the kitchen than an asset, it can be just as fun to buy some cookies, sit back, and just enjoy.

Do Some Holiday Painting and Ornament Decorating

A good way to relax is by letting your creative side run free. There are many online painting tutorials available to make you into a Picasso this holiday season. You can even buy ornaments and decorate them with your friends or family. This is another activity that you can do on Zoom so you can get to enjoy the holiday while staying safe.

While the pandemic has definitely made things look different this year, there’s no reason you can’t still enjoy this season. If you follow these tips, you’ll have a joyful season still filled with holiday traditions while remaining safe!

Skylar Rossi

Manhattan '23

I am a sophomore at Manhattan College pursuing a double major in political science and communications with a business minor.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!