freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

From One College Girl to Another, He’s Not Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

If this were Grey’s Anatomy he would be the combination of McDreamy and McSteamy.

Chances are, on paper he’s perfect.  We’ll call him “Dave.” He’s probably the captain of some team, good with kids, possibly on the Dean’s list and any color is his power color. Dave is a hard one to deal with; you think he’s out of your league but by some unknown magical action by the College Gods you two have been “talking”. Dave knows what to say, he makes you feel good, when you’re talking to him you want to have deep conversations but also kind of want to rip each other’s clothes off. But something isn’t quite right… You’ve heard stories about Dave, you know tons of girls Dave hooked up with, and you go into this knowing Dave’s questionable history. Now you’re conflicted. He’s perfect, but you’ll probably end up alone eating chipotle. Do you give it a shot? Here are some signs that you’re hooking up with a Dave and need to move on.

1.     He says he’s “Not ready to date right now”. He’s sorry but he’s “emotionally unavailable”

2.     He see’s you on campus and doesn’t acknowledge you, but has no problem texting you at 2am.

3.     He’s happy to “Netflix and chill” but being seen on campus together never seems to happen.

4.     He talks to you during breaks but once you’re back on campus he’s MIA.

5.     His roommates don’t know you’re talking or hooking up. They don’t even know who you are.

6.     He comes back into your life whenever you start to pull away. He texts “Hey, you havent been around” or once that snapchat streak ends, he makes a comeback.

7.     He’s always just a little too busy. Does he really not have time to even study or grab coffee with you?

8.     His old hookups still wear his clothes around campus and you feel like just another girl in his line up.

9.     He shamelessly hits on other girls in the bars, and this makes you feel shitty.

10. He makes you overthink your conversations. Why is he still on your mind while you’re trying to study for this damn Econ test?!

No guy is worth that much trouble. Not even a Dave. If you or anyone you know is hooking up with a Dave, do the right thing. Break up his routine; don’t jump into his line up. Be the one that got away and maybe, one day, when Dave wakes up and grows up, you’ll get married have adorable children and every color will be their power color. 

And if you choose to stick it out with Dave, well…

Abby Welte

Manhattan

Manhattan College student majoring in Communication and an Intern for the New Jersey Devils. I'm not legally allowed to play board games in at least 9 states, enjoy long walks on a short pier, trying anything with frosting on it and yelling at my TV when hockey is on.