The Office is Leaving Netflix: Here’s What I Learned from the Main Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

January 1, 2021, was not only the start of a new year but the end of an era. Along with the tumultuous year of 2020 finally coming to a close, it was also the end of a career for a beloved paper company. 

After rumors blazed on for the past two years, The Office was taken off Netflix at the start of the New Year. The show had gained much popularity and a wider audience during its career on this ever-popular streaming service, adding a whole new host of Dunder Mifflinites to the show’s fanbase. Personally, The Office became a reliable comfort show. Regardless of what was going on at the time, I could always rely on this quirky cast for a smile and some good laughs. 

All seasons of The Office are now exclusively available on Peacock, a streaming service similar to Hulu or HBO Max+. This switch of our favorite Scranton pals only being available on one platform has caused many Netflix users to become Peacock subscribers, for the sole purpose of being able to binge-watch The Office again at their leisure. 

Regardless of whether you’ve only seen a few episodes of The Office, or know the script to every show by heart, there’s a lot to be learned from watching these fictional characters lead their lives for 9 seasons. Spoiler alert! If you haven’t finished the show, I suggest stopping here. Come back when you’ve cried and cringed your way through season nine. Here’s what you can learn from a few of The Office’s wonderfully imperfect main characters.  

Jim Halpert: Never give up on true love. 

Within the first three seasons of the show, we see Jim watch as his best friend and love interest Pam continues a toxic relationship with her high school sweetheart, Roy. Roy, in short, does not treat Pam like the queen she is, and Jim knows this all too well. However, after years of flirting and millions of trips to the reception desk, Pam breaks things off with Roy, Jim becomes single, and the two finally get together. Though it took quite some time, Jim was incredibly patient and didn’t give up on the one he loved. Also, if you didn’t cry the first time you watched Pam and Jim tie the knot, your heart is probably made of stone. 

Pam Beesly: It’s okay to change your mind. 

Some might call her indecisive, but I think she’s powerful. Pam thought she wanted to marry Roy, then decided there was someone better. Pam thought she wanted to finish an art school program, then decided it wasn’t for her. At first, she didn’t like the idea of moving to Philly, then realized it might be fun. No matter what other people think, Pam knows that sometimes your first decision isn’t right for you in the long run. Pam changes her mind all the time and doesn’t look back, which is TOTALLY okay. 

Dwight Schrute: There’s nothing you can’t accomplish with hard work and determination. 

Dwight really loves paper, probably more than he loves beets and farming. He’s a loyal number two to branch manager Michael Scott, catering to his every need simply because he loves his job. At every mention of Michael possibly stepping down, Dwight is the first person to make his case on why he should be Michael’s successor. Dwight is a consistently high-performing salesman and will do anything to push himself to be a better employee and make another sale, no matter what alibi or costume it may require. After years of working hard, playing hard, and pranking hard, Dwight finally lives out his dream of becoming branch manager of Dunder Mifflin Scranton. 

Michael Scott: Be yourself unapologetically. 

From the very beginning, it’s easy to tell that Michael may be one of the most out-of-the-box thinkers on the show. Michael is always pushing the limits to get in a joke or a quick laugh, no matter how inappropriate it may be. Even when co-workers or corporate higher-ups tell him to tone it down, Michael Scott simply does not care, and cannot be bothered to act any way but his truest self. Though he may not be the most popular person in the room, he is the most authentic. 

The Office continues to grow in popularity long after the show stopped filming. Many of the actors got their start at this show, and have gone on to be very successful because of it. While leaving Netflix was certainly a big leap for the show, I predict this silly sitcom will remain a favorite among many for several years to come. 

Always remember: “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretsky. – Michael Scott. 

Jocelyn Visnov

Manhattan '24

Jocelyn is a communication major studying journalism and advertising at Manhattan College. She's the Editor-in-Chief for The Quadrangle Newspaper and previously served as a Creative Director and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Manhattan. Jocelyn aspires to pursue a career in advertising with a special interest in creative direction and campaigns. She is a passionate writer who is always on the go, but never without an iced coffee in hand!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!