October 21, 2015 – Marty McFly’s Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

In the sequal to the hit 80’s sci-fi classic, Back to the Future, Marty McFly and Dr. Emmet Brown head to the way way distant future (at least that’s what it felt like in the 80s) and ended up in the year 2015. This Wednesday, we celebrate Back to the Future Day, which marks the futuristic date McFly was the first to discover in a time long ago.

Now in the 80s, these futuristic depictions seemed completely possible; but sorry to dissapoint McFly, 2015 isn’t all that BTTF cracked it up to be. But hey, we’re getting pretty close.

1. Newspapers

Expectations:

Reality:

There may not be that cure for cancer yet, but USA Today is still going strong.

2. Hoverboards

Expectations:

Reality:

Not NEARLY as cool as Back To The Future made us think it would be. Come on, America!!!

3. Phones

Expectations:

Reality:

I mean, they might as well be stuck to our faces. It’s only a matter of time.

4. Fashion

Expectations:

Reality:

Trends these days seem to be shooting more for back-to-the-past. It’s okay, metal hats wouldn’t be good for your hair anyway.

5. Cars

Expectations:

Reality:

Unfortunately, cars can’t fly yet, which is a shame because it’s the only surefire way to avoid traffic.

6. Sharks

Expectations:

Reality:

Still patiently waiting for a Jaws 19.

7. Pizza

Expectations:

Reality:

A hydrator would make living on that college-student budget SO much easier, but at least the importance of pizza has not changed in the past 25 years.

8. Walking Dogs

Expectations:

Reality:

But why WOULDN’T you want to walk your dogs?!?!? Give me your dog!!! I will be your own personal automatic dog walker!!!

9. Shoes

Expectations:

Reality:

Tip-toein’ in my Jordans.

So maybe Back to the Future wasn’t COMPLETELY off, but we’ve still got a ways to go.

However, there’s only one way to REALLY tell how accurate this movie was…

We shall see.