Style

New Fashion Trends Begin to Bloom at Start of Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Spring will be greeted with open arms this year as the ‘Dark Winter,’ as President Biden called it, finally comes to an end. After what felt like an eternity of snow, wind, and rain, the last piles of ice are finally melting away to make room for pink and yellow flower buds. With each season, old trends get put away to make room for exciting new styles. This spring welcomes the comfort and relief we all need after the rise in COVID cases this past winter. Listed are five style trends likely to excel this spring.

Dresses

More specifically, maxi dresses. Long dresses with wide bases, made of cotton or silk material are perfect for walking through the park or going to the beach. Functional in a way that allows women to go from outside to inside without having to change. The outfit practically creates itself, as any dress can be paired with a cardigan and sandals without much thought or hassle.  

Jewelry

One popular trend that has sprung up in the wake of spring, which you may have seen from influencers like Emma Chamberlain, is the chunky ring. This style has already received widespread popularity and can be found in stores all over Manhattan. There are some brands that sell these rings for high prices, however, Etsy is a great place to look for cheaper alternatives. 

Criss Cross Halter Top

The perfect top for spring as it can be used as a last-minute bikini top if need-be but is also perfect for going out; it also arguably works on all body types.  

Golf Skirts (again)

This is a trend that comes and goes with the change in weather. However, I would argue that the white golf skirt is still a must-have staple piece for spring; it makes any outfit cute and fun and can take you from indoors to outdoors without an outfit change. 

Flare Pants

This is one of my favorite trends right now. Everywhere you look, people are seen strutting flare pants, each with different and unique patterns. Acting as a 2021 version of yoga pants, these stylish bottoms work for any outfit in practically any situation. Though I would argue that most of these pants require a pair of platform shoes or heels because of their long length that gets them easily scuffed. 

Adrianne Hutto

Manhattan '24

Adrianne Hutto is a Senior communication major at Manhattan College with a concentration in journalism. She loves writing about fashion, animals and food. In her free time she loves to cook, spend time with her cat, Casper, and rollerskating in Van Cortlandt Park.
Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.