This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

During the school year I was never one to lay in bed and watch TV instead of doing my work unless I really had nothing to do. That being said, I always had too much to do and rarely gave myself the time to relax and do nothing. However, the circumstances changed once the second half of my sophomore year at college got canceled and classes went completely online. I suddenly had a lot more free time on my hands and decided to fill some of it with shows I had been meaning to catch up on. Below I have a list of all the shows I have binge-watched since in quarantine and would like to recommend them to you because they are worth the watch. 

1. Outer Banks

I just recently finished watching Outer Banks and what a wild time that was. To be honest, I only started watching it because I kept seeing references to it all over TikTok, but I am so happy I did. Like the title suggests, the show takes place in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and tells a story of a group of sixteen-year-olds who are on a treasure hunt for $400 million dollars worth of gold. This action-packed story of friendship and love that involves drugs, violence, and money, is definitely worth the watch.

2. The Witcher 

Based on a book series by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski is a fantasy drama series about a monster hunter named Geralt. Renewed for a second season, Geralt is on the search for Ciri, the crown princess of Cintra. I have to warn you that this show can be quite gruesome, explicit, and very creepy at times, but you will not be disappointed if you get through the season. I have to admit, I attempted to watch the show once before but did not get into it because I didn’t think I would be into it but quarantine changed that. You just have to get through the first few episodes and you will be set. 

3. When They See Us

When They See Us is based off a true story of five African American males, also known as the “Central Park Five”,  who were wrongfully convicted for the rape of a woman who was jogging through Central Park in New York City. I have to say, no show I have ever watched before had me in tears as much as this one did (snapchat has proof of that). This short, four episode limited series is one of the most eye opening Netflix binges you will probably ever watch. 

4. Waco

Like When They See Us, this show often had me in tears, left me speechless, and with my jaw dropped. I had learned about the events at Waco because of a college religion course, but actually watching what happened was a completely different experience. In my opinion, this is another perfect example of a corrupt system of government that wrongfully accuses or makes assumptions about a group of people that more often than not results in unnecessary mayhem. 

5. Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem, and Madness

If I am being honest, I only watched Tiger King because everyone was talking about it and I thought why not, but it’s not a show I would watch again. (Sorry, that’s all I have to say about it). 

Special Mention: Crash Landing Onto You

Crash Landing is a little different than the rest of the shows I have mentioned because it is actually a Korean drama, or K-drama. I had to include this show as a special mention because my roommate was finally able to convince me to watch one of her favorite K-dramas. Unless you speak Korean, this is not a show to have just playing in the background because you have to rely on the subtitles to understand what is going on. Besides that, I would recommend this Korean love story between a soldier from the North and a well-known business woman from the South to anyone who has been wanting to watch a K-drama. 

What shows are you binging? If you have any suggestions for shows I should watch next, please leave them in the comments below! I hope you enjoyed reading this article and let me know if you want to see more like this! As always, please stay safe and stay healthy!

xoxo

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!