This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Samantha Keating

Coming of age movies are not only a fan favorite but my personal favorite as well. Viewers get to see a protagonist evolve and grow into a respectable adult while also getting to see the messy and entertaining road that led them there. Here is a list of my personal favorites that I highly recommend to binge on a rainy day (just prepare the tissues)!

1. Lady Bird A movie about a fierce teenage girl coming into herself and learning who she is through rebellion and exploration. Lady Bird won a Golden Globe for a reason; it is emotion-packed and has an amazing cast… (Hey Timothee Chalamet).
  1. Superbad A great reflective comedy that gave us the iconic McLovin. Superbad will make you reminisce on your time in high school although hopefully, your graduation night was less hectic than these boys.
  1. Mean Girls One of the best movies of all time. Encouraging an entire generation of people to religiously wear pink on Wednesdays. Mean Girls is iconic in every way possible and will have you rooting for the Plastics to end in ruins.
  1. Love, Simon Incredible & show stopping. A wonderful story about a boy coming into his own sexuality and figuring out who he is. Such a sweet love story… and it inspired a great tv show too (Love, Victor)!
  1. The Edge of Seventeen Though this movie has a heartbreaking start, the ending is so beautiful. This story follows a 17-year-old girl as she grieves with loss and struggles to maintain relations with her family and friends.
  1. Easy A One of my all-time favorites. This movie shows just how terrible the rumor mill is in high school. Emma Stone does an incredible job of rejecting the cruelty of others and gives a hilarious performance. 
  1. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off An oldie but a goodie, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off relates the tale of a class clown playing hooky. Though he runs into many obstacles and has to make sure school officials don’t find out. This movie is a timeless classic.
  1. Clueless As if I’d forget to put Clueless on here! I’m unsure how the world ever lived before Cher but I know we will forever live on inspired by her catchphrases and amazing fashion.
  1. Booksmart Booksmart is a wonderful reminder for students to enjoy themselves and have fun. It’s so easy to be overwhelmed by your responsibilities but remembering to have fun is vital to growing up. 
  1. Moxie! The most recent movie on the list and one of the best is Moxie! A movie dedicated to feminism and women taking back their power. Moxie! has a star-filled cast and an incredible message.

All of the movies on this list are incredible and will have you smiling through your tears of joy. Grab your roomie and some popcorn and binge ASAP!

Samantha Keating

Manhattan '24

Junior at Manhattan College studying English & 5-year elementary and special education!