morning products hero image?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
morning products hero image?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith

My Quarantine Morning Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

I think it’s safe to say that since quarantine we all have been forced to adjust how we go about our daily routines. That might mean waking up at a different time, having to cook for yourself, or going outside more often. Whatever it is, life is currently anything but normal. Don’t get me wrong, I love being home and spending this extra time with my parents, but this is definitely not how I imagined life playing out. That being said, I have been able to cater a new kind of morning routine for myself that gets me up and ready for the day ahead.

1. Wake up by 9:00 (9:30 at the latest)

While on campus, I had a babysitting job that required me to wake up at 6 am almost every morning. I made sure to be asleep by 11:00 every night so that I could still manage to get up in the morning. However, now most of my nights involve going to bed no sooner than 1 am and waking up by 9 am; this is definitely not ideal. If I wake up any later than 9:30, I feel like I have already wasted most of the day so 9 am is the time I strive to wake up at. I find it funny how quickly one can change from being a morning person to dreading hearing their alarm in the morning. 

2. Drink water

Drinking water first thing in the morning not only hydrates your body after you sleep, but kick starts your metabolism from the beginning of the day. Water helps flush out any toxins and improve the complexion of your skin giving it a healthy glow. I like to keep a bottle of water on my nightstand so that it is within reach as soon as I wake up.

3. Wash my face with cold water + brush my teeth

I like to stick to a simple skin care routine that leaves me feeling refreshed and awake. As soon as I finish drinking my water, I head to the bathroom to rinse my face with cold water and brush my teeth to get rid of morning breath (gross). 

4. Do a workout

Even when I was on campus, I would go to the gym early in the morning because one, barely anyone would be there, and two, I felt much more energized and ready for the day. If you do your workout first thing in the morning, you are more likely to do it and get it over with. However, if I am not feeling an intense workout one morning, I will pull up a yoga or meditation video instead. 

5. Have a protein smoothie

If I am working out first thing in the morning, I like to workout fasted but will refuel and replenish my muscles with a protein shake right after. I keep it simple by mixing protein powder with water or whatever dairy-free milk I have on hand. If I am feeling up for it, I might make a protein smoothie bowl or oatmeal instead (Side note: protein powder is not a requirement to “make gains” or see progress).

6. Eat my first meal by 12:00

Recently I have not had the biggest appetite in the morning so the protein smoothie is enough to hold me over until my first meal. I try to listen to my body as much as possible when it comes to hunger cues and that is why I tend to eat my first meal around noon. I am in no way suggesting you do this too, but I overall just feel better if I don’t eat as soon as I get out of bed. That being said, if I was ravenously hungry one morning, I would respect those cues and give my body what it needed. 

In all, this morning routine I have adopted since quarantine and social distancing is quite different from what I would be doing if I was on campus. Whether you have a free morning or just want to spice up your own routine, try implementing some of these things into your mornings. It has been quite an adjustment getting used to all this extra time and not having much of a sense of urgency, but every day it gets a little easier. 

xoxo

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!