This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

School breaks are called breaks for a reason because it is a time for students to take a breather from a super busy and stressful semester behind them. I think it is safe to say we all needed this winter break after finishing a full semester of online school for the first time; it was unlike anything I had ever experienced but I am happy to say I survived and so did you! Be proud of that! 

That being said, I took advantage of this break by spending more time in front of the TV than I would like to admit. HOWEVER, that means I have some great new Netflix recommendations for you so that when you have some free time you know exactly what to watch! Below, I have compiled a list of some older and newer Netflix shows that I think are worth the watch.

Umbrella Academy

It’s taken me since February of 2019, when the first season of Umbrella Academy aired, to finally make the decision to watch it. I had seen advertisements for the show all over Netflix but didn’t think I would like the show so I never gave it a shot. However, a few of my friends kept recommending it to me and I knew I had to check it out. Now it’s one of my favorite shows! I don’t want to spoil anything, but if you are into superheroes and doomsday, this show is perfect for you!

Queen’s Gambit

There is not one bad thing that I could say about Queen’s Gambit. This special series on Netflix is a short one season with only seven episodes that I binged all in one day and I am not even mad. The characters draw you in right from the beginning and I could not wait to see how the rest of the story would unfold. Even if you don’t understand anything about chess (like me), this show makes you want to become the next Grand Master (you’ll get the reference once you watch the show)! Highly recommend checking it out!

Sherlock

If you are a crime and mystery buff like I am, then Sherlock is the perfect show for you. Sherlock is another series that has been around for a while but I never ended up watching it until now just because I was not sure if I would like it at the time. I enjoyed how the show was split up into four seasons with only three episodes each, but every episode was about an hour and a half, making it feel like you were watching a short movie. I quickly fell in love with the characters, mystery, and comedy this show executed just perfectly. 

Hannibal

By the time I finished Hannibal, I could not believe what I had just watched. With the amount of gore and pure violence in this show, I had to pause quite a few times just to catch my breath and understand what was happening. You’re probably wondering why I would recommend this show to you? Well, simply put, the story is just too good. Each character is so well developed and the pure genius behind the story draws you right in. That being said, I have to warn those with weak stomachs that this show might not be for you, but I still highly recommend giving it a try. If I can do it, so can you.

Mindhunter

As I mentioned before, I am a huge crime and mystery buff. I absolutely love watching shows like Castle, NCIS, and Criminal Minds, so when I discovered Mindhunter, you know I was so excited to watch it. I found this show super interesting because it tells the story of how the Behavioral Science Unit at the FBI first came to be. If you’ve never watched Criminal Minds, I would suggest watching Mindhunter first and then Criminal Minds to get a better understanding of the history behind criminal profiling. Sadly, the production of the show has been put on pause after a short two seasons, but hopefully it’ll be back in no time!

American Horror Story: Freak Show (Season 4) & 1984 (Season 9)

Last but not least, American Horror Story is a show that I got very into when it first came out but I stopped watching after the third season. Not until recently did I start watching it again and I can’t believe what I was missing out on! What I love about AHS is that you can jump between seasons however you like without watching it in any particular order. I have to admit, Freak Show was not my favorite, but I still thought I should mention it. However, 1984 is well worth the watch! I have to warn you that it is quite gory and very graphic, but the story is just too good to not watch the whole season through. 

I hope you all decide to check out one or all of some of my new favorite Netflix series! If you do, let me know what you think!

Read more from Jana at her blog: https://jvcunfiltered.wordpress.com/

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!