Wellness > Health

My 5-Step Morning Routine, Perfect for any College Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The time we take in the morning to get ready is a form of self-care. It’s a daily ritual to prepare ourselves for the day ahead. That is why having a structured morning routine is essential to start your day. 

Need inspiration? Don’t worry! 

Here is what I do for my morning routine: 

1. The Basics
    • Waking up
      • Although it may seem insignificant, waking up is an accomplishment within itself. Regardless of when you went to bed, the first moments after waking up are treacherous. The groggy feeling and blurred vision you experience in that moment is not one to be dismissed. Let’s face it, ladies, waking up is hard! Jokes aside, I suggest waking up at least one to two hours before leaving your house or starting tasks (not including the time you take to commute). This gives you the perfect amount of time to complete everything on your list without feeling rushed. 
    • Showering
      • For me, I love showering in the morning. It makes me feel so alive and refreshed. I make sure to put the temperature of the water on the colder side. As a girlie with anxiety, I can not take my chances. 
    • Brushing teeth
      • Do I really need to explain this one LOL? 
    • Deodorant
      • I recommend Dove’s deodorant spray; that stuff lasts for months without a replacement. I’m currently using the fragrance-free one, and I love it. If you’re concerned about aluminum deodorants, I have heard that Native is a great substitute. 
  2. Skin Care
    • CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser
      • I have used this cleanser since 2020, which is insane. My skin type is normal to dry, especially during winter. This cleanser is an excellent refresher for your face without making it too oily. 
    • The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydrating Serum (i) & The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum (ii) 
      • Call me basic for listening to TikTok recommendations for this one, but I like The Ordinay’s serums. Do they work? I honestly can’t tell. Do I feel better for putting them on? Yes, absolutely. This one helps explicitly with dryness of the skin.  
      • This serum claims to minimize the size of your pores and level out the tone of your skin. I keep applying it, hoping to see a visible difference one day. Has that day come? Unfortunately, I don’t think it has. Also, I spent a decent amount on these serums and hate wasting money. So on my face, they go! 
    • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream Unscented
      • This is a classic. It does its job, and I love it. I’ve used the same bottle of CeraVe’s moisturizing cream (16 oz) for 4 years now, and I still have almost half the bottle to go. This one is great for the crusty, dusty girlies that borderline have their skin peeling in the fall and winter. Instant hydration every time; this one is a 10/10. 
  3. Get Dressed 
    • Weather
      • I almost always determine how heavy I want to go on my clothing based on how cold or hot I feel after waking up. I don’t know why, but it always works. I also check the weather app to make sure, but I’m usually right, which weirdly concerns me. 
    • Vibes
      • This one is important. It’s all about determining which aesthetic I want to go for. If I feel more chill, I’ll wear bell-bottomed black yoga pants with an oversized crewneck or sweater. But, if I’m in the mood to dress up, I’ll reach for my long skirt and pair it with a cute crop top or mini tee. 
    • Styling/Accessories
      • The difference between a regular outfit and a styled outfit is uncanny. Accessorizing your looks can turn it from basic to everyone complimenting you on your outfit. Add a belt, unique jewelry, a hat, or a tie. The list is endless. Yes, it’s daunting, but it’s also so exciting. When styling, focus on what you’d like to see on someone or what you feel best in. This is your chance to tailor your outfit to you and make it your own. 
  4. Cosmetics & Hairstyles
    • Makeup
      • I like to keep my makeup light. Most days, I fill in my eyebrows, slick them back with brow gel and apply mascara. Usually, I’m on the go, and having heavy makeup on feels more like a burden than a confidence booster. Honestly, sometimes I feel more confident with less makeup. But like I always say, whatever works for you works for me. 
    • Hair
      • I can’t lie, I’m usually too lazy and end up letting my hair air dry. To defend myself a little here, my hair looks nice unstyled. But when I do feel up to styling it, I either have my roommate blow it out (thank you, Grace) or curl it with my straightener. Works every time, without fail. 
  5. Breakfast
    • On The Go
      • I have early classes most days this semester and always need more time for a sit-down breakfast. That is why granola bars have been my bestie this past month. It’s quick and easy but keeps me full until lunch. Having something in the morning is essential to give your brain energy. Granola bars are a great option! 
    • Taking My Time
      1. Whenever I have the chance to visit the dining hall for breakfast or brunch, I take it. I love eating with my friends and discussing our plans for the day. 

It’s important to stress that no morning routine is perfect and always obtainable. Life is unpredictable, so please remember that before judging yourself for not completing your morning routine or having one. While this is true, setting these expectations for yourself is also good. Structure is critical for success, ladies. So, set yourself up with success by constructing your perfect morning routine. 

Ashley Karlosky

Manhattan '27

Ashley Karlosky is a communications major with a concentration in advertising. She dreams of using her degree to head Social Media at a fashion or women's magazine. Ashley's been fascinated with recording her life through video blogs since she was twelve. Capturing the little moments life has to offer has always captivated her. Although she doesn't use her old point-and-shoot camera, she still loves documenting her life via Instagram and YouTube, especially with her recent start at Manhattan College as a freshman. Manhattan is only a train away, and she can't wait to write about her adventures and share her experiences in the city. Her interest includes fashion, music, social media, and food. She loves going on walks and debriefing with her friends about her day. She is obsessed with anything Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, and her dog Remi. She hopes to make a difference in this world through her work and leave it better than when she came. Ashley is excited to write for Her Campus and share her perspective on fashion, current events, and pop culture. She aspires to help at least one girl out there and answer the questions she wishes she had the answers to when she was young.