timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet Our Her Campus Celeb: Abby Welte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.
Year: Sophomore
Major: Communication
Concentration: Public Relations
Minor: Management 
Hometown: Franklin Lakes, NJ

Meet our Her Campus celebrity of the week: Abby Welte. Abby is a second semester sophomore here at Manhattan College who writes for the Manhattan chapter of Her Campus. This is the first year Abby has decided to write for Her Campus and she is off to an Amazing start! Her recent article “15 Reasons Not To Come To Manhattan College” is already up to over 13,000 views and the views keep going up! That’s the most views any article written by a Manhattan writer has ever gotten. Congrats, Abby!

HC: Your article has been blowing up! How do you feel about it?

Abby: Right now my one article is almost at 13,000 views, which is crazy!

HC: Why did you decide to start writing for Her Campus?

Abby: It was actually my friends Vanessa and Tasia who made me want to write for HerCampus! I loved the articles that they posted and when I started writing I realized I actually liked it a lot, and that I was kind of good at it. 

HC: What do you like about Her Campus?

Abby: I love the whole HerCampus community. It’s built around strong, intelligent women who love to write. I like writing fun articles that make people go “omg yes” or “that’s so us”. It’s actually kind of silly but I like doing campus cutie and campus celeb because 1. You have an excuse to talk to that cute guy in your class 2. People are always so flattered, and it’s fun to see people light up or blush during the interviews. I’m excited to keep writing in the next two years!

HC: Why did you decide to come to Manhattan College?

Abby: I decided to come to Manhattan College because I knew I wanted to be in the city but also relatively close to home, my little brother is my best friend so I couldn’t be too far from him, and I don’t think I could not see my dogs for months on end. There was nowhere that I considered to be my “dream school” so I was really iffy about where I wanted to go. When I got to MC I loved the campus and my mom started crying in front of the library so that was kind of when I knew this was the place for me.

HC: You can see by your Instagram that you’re an amazing drawer! When did you start drawing?

Abby: I started drawing when I was super young, I loved art. One time I picked up a nail I found in the drive way and “drew a picture” on my moms car… that’s when my brother became the favorite child I think haha.

HC: Does drawing come naturally to you or did you take any classes?

Abby: I was put into all the “special art” programs from 3rd grade until 8th grade and then by my senior year I took AP art studio. I never really took classes, except for a few months in middle school but then I had to choose between soccer, art and dance, so I chose soccer and dance because I could always draw on my own, its hard to play a soccer game by yourself.

HC: Do people ask you to draw them a lot?

Abby: I think people feel weird asking me to draw them sometimes, but I LOVE to do it. It’s super creepy though if someone didn’t know I drew them and somehow sees the picture so now I just post on Instagram or Facebook basically asking for volunteers and people always jump at my offer. Right now I have like 30 people who I haven’t gotten to yet.

Here are some of Abby’s drawings:

Alyssa is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communications with a concentration in Journalism. She is the Campus Correspondant of Her Campus Manhattan. She is from New Jersey but is in love with New York City. She will be interning at Z100 starting January 2015. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @littleamac!