Meet KCee Mahinahokukauikamoana Choy-Ellis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.
Name: KCee Mahinahokukauikamoana Choy-Ellis (Many of us know her as simply: Mahina)
Age: 20 
Hometown: Honolulu, Hawaii 
Major: International Studies, Communications 
Minor: Mandarin
Favorite Food: Black Rice Spicy Crunch Tuna Sushi

HC: What extracurricular activities are you involved with on campus?

Mahina: I was involved in Student government, two years in a row as Class Representative. This year I am involved in the Advertising Club and am looking forward to joining the Model United Nations Team next semester.

HC: Do you have any advice to students when choosing to be involved in activities on campus?

Mahina: Definitely take advantage of everything offered at Manhattan College. While small, the school offers a great way to meet and interact with others for a good cause. Additionally, it’s a way to figure out what you’re most passionate about. All in all, MC offers great extracurricular activities and I heard there’s even a Anime Club pending (haha).

HC: Who do you look up to the most?

Mahina: I definitely look up to my mother, that’s a given. She’s been through a lot and is the second person to attend a college in my direct family, pushing me to be the first to go away to college. My mother was the oldest of four kids, put herself through college, and had me and my twin sister at a relatively young age. She’s now an amazing single mom of five and is the epitome of a super woman.

HC: Why did you choose Manhattan College?

Mahina: Coming from a small school, I knew that I would find trouble thriving in a large-scale university. Manhattan College’s intimacy really lets me get attention from professors who actually care and I have made so many friends with fellow classmates. Of course, the close proximity to the city is amazing. Being able to hop on the one train and go anywhere in NYC is a dream. And, of course, I seriously think Broadway Joe’s has the best pizza ever.

HC: What is a quote you live by?

Mahina: “It’s not that most people aim high and miss, it’s that they aim low and hit.”

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time?

Mahina: I’ve been a freelance portrait photographer for about four years now and have been dipping my toes into the fashion side, shooting for Matt Coyne’s new line. I’ve also started to do more videography and designed my own website. I also have two jobs right now so “spare time” is very sparse but I also love going to the gym and dancing aimlessly in my room to Lana Del Rey. Yes, I’m being serious!

HC: Where do you see yourself after you graduate?

Mahina: I am already looking for an apartment in downtown Manhattan or Brooklyn. There have been a few things I see myself doing in terms of a career but whatever I choose, or whatever chooses me, I just hope it makes me happy, as cheesy as that is. Ideally, I would like to be Beyonce. But the CEO of my own International Advertising company would be just as fine.

HC: What is your best memory at Manhattan College thus far?

Mahina: It was the first winter for my freshman year two years ago. Knowing I had never seen falling snow in my entire life, I got 100 texts from friends telling me that it was snowing outside. I was in the library studying for a midterm, I jumped up, literally sprinted outside and started dancing and jumping in the snow. And yes of course I took photos. My friends were so excited for me that they couldn’t help but just laugh with me. Best memory ever.

Samantha is a senior at Manhattan College studying clinical psychology with the ultimate goal of becoming a nurse practitioner. She is a founder and VP of Social Chair for Sigma Delta Tau's Delta Mu Chapter. She has a love / hate relationship with Grey's Anatomy that includes hours of binge watching through the laughs and tears. She loves NYC, laughing, and going on adventures. One of her many goals is to travel the world. Follow her on Instagram: @samaanthamarie