This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

This week I had the pleasure of interviewing graduating senior Carlos Perez! Carlos is involved in tons of things on and off campus so I sat down with him to hear more about his time as a Jasper and what he wants to do after college is over. 

Fast Facts

Hometown: Miami, Florida

Major: Secondary Education with a Concentration in Biology

Favorite Food: Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, specifically Hazed and Confused

Favorite Movie: Ferris Bueller’s Day off

Favorite TV show: Arrested Development

Favorite Broadway Show: Spring Awakening

Favorite Musical Artist: Taylor Swift

Favorite Spot on Campus: 4th floor computer lab in the library. It’s so open and usually less crowded!

Favorite Spot in Riverdale: Yo Burger

Can you tell me a little bit about some things you were involved with during your four years here?

I was part of the Arches program my freshman year, I was an Orientation Leader that summer,  the next summer I did ISV program where International students come here for the summer and stay on campus; I was an activity leader for them. I’m an RA and I have been for two years.  The first year I was an Arches RA and this year I am an RA in the new Visual and Performing Arts Community. I’ve been an active member of players since freshman year and been involved in almost every show in some way. I’m also in the Pen and Sword Society, was in singers for one year and I’m also in the Mural project right now.

Do you have any Post grad plans?

I just secured an apartment for the summer and the fall so I’m really excited about that! Currently I’ve been applying for teaching jobs at different schools and I’m trying to work at a camp this summer. I have an interview for camp this week so hopefully that goes well! It’s a day camp and I would actually be the biology teacher for the students so that’s really cool and I’m excited about it!

Best memory at MC?

The Murder Mystery that I did was such a great experience. I produced it, directed it and starred in it and we got so much great feedback and got to do it again and that felt so great. Being in Company was another great memory, Avenue Q as well! All of the players shows were really great. My first day moving was actually really great even though  it was the first time I had ever visited the college before. It’s actually a really funny story. On move in day I was in the city and we were coming over to campus and my mom said we were going to get a cab to bring all my stuff over but we couldn’t get a cab. The only option was to go to school in a white limousine and we went but I made the driver stop at the guard booth and told my mom that I could not pull up on the first day of college in a limo. So my mom and I lugged all my luggage all the way across campus to find my building. We went to every building besides mine because we didn’t know where anything was! But once I got into my room and put all of my things down all of my roommates and suitemates came out to see how I was. Another great memory was living with those guys, they were all really nice and funny. Being an Orientation Leader was also amazing. It was one of the best summers of my life! I have a lot of great memories here.

Carlos and the cast of his murder Mystery! 

Now that you’ve shared some past memories, what are you most looking forward to in the next month before graduation?

I’m really excited for senior week, especially formal! I already have my suit and everything so I can’t wait. I’m also excited about when we’ll unveil the finished mural to everyone. I’m looking forward to spring fest Springfest! It’s just a really fun and nice day regardless of who is performing.  Also, I’m excited about a final paper I’m going to write on Stephen Sondheim, a lyricist and composer. I’m a big fan of his work and can’t wait to write about him.

Is there anything you wish you had done while you were college?

I think the only thing I would have done differently is taking more chances and opportunities in Players. I auditioned for a lot and was in many things but I wish I had done more directing and things like that to help out. Other than that, I wouldn’t have changed anything. Everything I’ve done has been worth it.

As a graduating senior, do you have any advice for an incoming freshman?

I would say take advantage of literally every opportunity like clubs and leadership opportunities on campus.  If you think that it’s something that you want, just do it. That’s something I try to live by and have done in college. And if there’s someone that

Favorite MC employee? Favorite professor?

RD Kat. I absolutely love her. She’s one of the best leaders I have ever met and she’s given me so much advice on things, especially teaching and future grad things. She has so much wisdom even though she’s not much older than me. My favorite professor is Dr. Mayer because I’ve had so much fun with her. She’s so funny and even though I had to retake a class with her, she made it bearable. My favorite class is something I’m taking now: The History of the Broadway Musical. I’m such a Broadway nerd so I get really into it! That’s actually the class that I’m writing the paper on Stephen Sondheim on!

If you had to have dinner with one person past or present, who would it be?

For someone who’s passed away I would have to say Robin Williams, I feel like he’s such a great comedian and he was so brilliant so it would be great to see how he is as a person.  Alive,  either  Tina Fey or Amy Poehler. I’m leaning more towards Tina Fey because she’s such a great writer and would just be so smart but Amy Poehler seems so personable and that would be fun. I’d really just be happy to meet either of them!

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Australia, definitely. I want to go to the Great Barrier Reef. I’m such a biology nerd about things like this but it just has such a rich ecosystem so I would love to see all of the different species up close after having studied them. 

If you weren’t going to teach, what would your dream career be? 

I think an actor or director but probably a director. I think I have a knack for it and I love to share my ideas and see them portrayed on a stage! 

Thanks, Carlos! 

Writer. Feminist. Lover of iced coffee, dogs and all things cheetah print.