Manhattan College Inspired Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

We’ve seen all of the typical Halloween costumes, year after year: cat, mouse, cowgirl, robber, etc. What’s holding you back from wearing something completely new? A costume no one has ever seen before or worn before? The obvious choice here is to put your school pride on display this holiday season in these custom-made Manhattan College-themed Halloween costumes. Pick out your favorite and make all of your friends extremely jealous.

Our first fashionable outfit is the infamous Locke’s Worker uniform. This is fairly easy to replicate. Black pants or leggings are simple to come by, as are black sneakers (Nike preferred). But the two key elements are really necessary to hit this costume out of the ball park. First, you have the green polo. Bonus points are awarded if you get it embroidered with the Gourmet Dining logo. The black hat, secondly, is the pièce de résistance. Triple bonus points if you happen to find an official Gourmet Dining hat laying around Thomas somewhere. To complete this look, venture over to Locke’s Halloween weekend and try to sneak behind the counters.

If you’re looking for a costume that is all about standing out, this 1 Train costume is for you. Really anything metallic would work for this get-up but realistically you could get away with a dirty gray color too. However, the necessary piece of this costume is the red hat (preferably with the number 1 on it). Maybe even carry around an MTA subway map, which you can get for free if you ask the worker in the booth. In order to complete this look, it is imperative that you announce your arrival at places, remind people where you are going and at random points just stop walking and don’t tell anyone exactly why.

Everyone knows the Founder’s Bridge mural, entitled Blossom. It’s the newest addition to our campus, being the first student-made art piece on the entire campus. Now it’s your turn to bring it to life! There are many different symbolic pieces throughout the mural, so you can go crazy with this one. Get as colorful as you want with you clothing. This dress works because the colors match the sunset skyline featured in the mural. Accessories are a must and can range from anything including: star earrings, a stuffed-animal squirrel, a book and many cherry blossom items such as jewelry or hair pieces. How artistic!

Maybe you’re in a rush and need something extremely simple that is sure to be a hit. Don’t you worry, DLS has your back. Throw on your best LBD (or black maxi dress) and black shoes. But this costume won’t work without a yellow ‘halo’ of some sorts. A headband would suffice but if you’re more interested in getting crafty, make your own halo! Maybe even try to design it after the stained glass windows in the Chapel. If you’re feeling super crafty, paint some Lasallian stars on your face, too. Finally, carry around one of those “purses that look like a book” to hold all of your knowledge in. 

Although very similar to the 1 Train costume (you just have to switch the hats), the Senior Walk is one your friends will pride you on for years to come. Wear all gray to match the pavement of the quad. Sweatshirts and sweat pants should be the go-to choice, especially if you’re a senior. They’re a comfortable choice in outfit that also says “I have senioritis and I don’t care”. Try and snag a green or black graduation cap and possibly string a diploma hanging in front of you, just out of reach. In order to wrap up this look, yell at any freshman that even tries to come near you. 

The final Halloween look is modeled after our beloved mascot, the dear Jasper. Since no one knows what a Jasper is, it’s better to just carry around ambiguous sporting equipment as your accessory. Wear your best Kelly green but in order to carry on the confusion, wear a question mark shirt. When someone asks you what a Jasper is (or what you’re supposed to be), just shrug your shoulders, dropping every single basketball/hockey stick/tennis racket/sports item you have. Or just get really rowdy when you see other people dressed as any sports star.

Happy Halloween, MC!

Class of 2019. Communication Major. Film Studies/Digital Media Art Minor. Maryland girl exploring NYC and writing all about it! Follow me on Instagram: @taylorbrethauer and Twitter: @itstaybytheway Stalk my photography blog here: throughtaylorsviewfinder.tumblr.com