Managing Sunday Scaries 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

What are Sunday scaries?  Sometimes called Sunday Blues, it is when you are anxious or dreadful every Sunday.  Normally, it happens because you are thinking about all the things you have to do in the upcoming week and you simply don’t want to go back to school or work.  Sunday scaries may also be caused by unfulfilled expectations because you had so much to do on Sunday, but you didn’t get everything done.  Sunday scaries may also happen because of societal pressure people face. Even on weekends, you feel like you should be productive.

Overall, preparing yourself for the new week is scary.  Every time Sunday comes around, I have so much to do to prepare for the new week, but I am often too lazy and nervous to think about the week ahead.  It helps me get right out of bed, create a list of things I need to do, and balance out my weekend so I’m not so stressed on Sunday.

On Sunday, I make sure to give myself time to work out a bit.  For me, it’s easy because I have practice.  However, by starting my day off with practice, I feel more awake and automatically productive.  Working out always makes my body and mind feel better and working out for me is a perfect way to start my Sunday.

After I work out, I sit down and make a plan for the rest of the week.  Of course, I don’t know what homework will be like or what random events might happen, but I do know I have club meetings, regular meetings, etc.  By writing down what I have to do every day during the new week, I feel better about preparing myself for the possible stress that will be ahead.  Humans don’t like the unknown, which is why I find it beneficial to plan out my week. 

I always clean on Sundays.  I feel like it restarts my life for the week.  I start by cleaning the bathroom every week so I can have a fresh start.  Then, I move to my room and wipe all of the desks and dressers down, I dust the room.  I also vacuum and mop the floors.  By reorganizing my room, cleaning, and doing laundry, I know I will have a clean room and clean clothes.  Having a clean space helps me focus more, and having a clean room actually improves my mental health.  By having a messy room, it makes it harder for you to focus, which you can read more about here. 

After I clean, if I have any homework to do, I will do it.  I know this sounds easier to do than it actually is, but having a clean room allows me to have a clear head when I get my work done.  I make sure I am comfortable when doing it, but I will sit down and get whatever leftover homework I have to do, done.  If I have a lot of homework to do, I give myself a lot of breaks or even snacks so I can keep motivation and focus when doing my homework.

It also may be nice to hang out with your friends.  It doesn’t have to be anything crazy, maybe even a bite to eat.  Having someone to hang out with helps you relax and forget about the stressful week you may have just had or what is ahead of you.  Friends are great for your mental health and it is important to make time for your friends and loved ones.

To close off my night I take a really good shower and get ready for bed.  I try to make Sunday showers the best, by doing a full body and hair shower.  Anything you enjoy doing in the shower like exfoliating, shaving, etc., should be done on Sundays.  I always feel like showering on Sundays is like a detox to prepare myself for the week.  Self care Sundays are great!  After my shower, I get in bed early and I either read or play on my phone.  Whatever it is you like to do to relax you should do it right before bed.  I also really enjoy being in bed earlier on Sundays.  I normally have late-night weekends so I restart my sleep schedule by going to bed earlier on Sundays and waking up earlier on Mondays to be more productive.  

Sundays don’t have to be so scary.  There are so many things you can do to make your Sundays more enjoyable, as well as productive.  Work on self care and simply enjoy yourself.  Have a super Sunday!

Emily Gianni

Manhattan '24

Hi I'm Emily! I am in my Senior Year at Manhattan College, graduating in Spring 2024. I am studying Childhood Special Education with an upward extension to middle school with a double major in English. My goal in life is to teach elementary school and later on, teach middle school. Although I don't have a position in my Her Campus chapter, I am still an active writer for Her Campus! I write about all different topics for Her Campus, anything that interests me or that I believe other girls will find useful and informational. I am a team captain on the Manhattan College cheerleading team, so I may write about that sometimes. I also love sorority rush season so I have written about my sorority a few times. I believe that Her Campus is an amazing source for women to put their work out there and influence other girls. I love being a part of this organization and being able to write about whatever I love. This is the best outlet for me to learn more about my writing style, experiment with different topics that I would not be allowed to write about in a class, and grow as a writer.