Life > Experiences

Losing a Pet In College- You’re Not Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

We all love our pets. They’re always there for us when we need them- they show us unconditional love and devotion, and will never break up with us for someone else. For many of us in college, we have had our pets since we were little or for our whole lives. We can’t imagine what our lives would be like without them. So what happens when you get the call that your pet is really sick, or worse, dying?

First of all, know that you have every right to be upset. Don’t let anybody tell you otherwise. You can cry, and tell your friends who will understand. They will 100% be there for you. Try to find others who have gone through the same thing as you.

There are also many online forums for people going through the same thing. Having that emotional support is extremely important. If you have the ability to go home, do it. It may mean that you miss a few classes and events, but it’s worth it knowing that you may get to say goodbye to your pet and see them one last time. For the majority of us, our pets are like our siblings. Plus, it will be much better to have the comfort of your own home and family for this process. If you live far and can’t go home, try to schedule a FaceTime date. Even just some live contact will make you feel a little bit better. Connecting with your pet one last time can make a huge difference in the healing process after suffering a major loss. Take time to reflect on all the good times that you have had with your pet. You may be tempted to throw those pictures out or delete them out of sadness, but don’t. You have probably made some amazing memories with your pet and you will want to look back and cherish them. If you are missing your pet and have a local animal shelter around you, look into volunteering there. This is a great opportunity because you are helping local animals in need. It will make you feel more connected to that animal you may be missing, and know that they would be proud of you!

Losing a pet is undoubtedly one of the hardest things to go through, and can be even harder in college. Know that your pet loves you, and you will get through it! 

For anyone who is struggling, here is one of the online support forums I turn to: https://www.rainbowsbridge.com

Molly Prior

Manhattan '21

Molly Prior is a senior at Manhattan College studying communications and journalism. With a passion for women's empowerment and lifestyle, she hopes to write for a magazine such as Cosmopolitan or Women's Health.