Little Things You Can Do to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Reducing your carbon footprint can be one of the best things that you can do right now to help combat climate change. Your carbon footprint is the amount of carbon dioxide you produce due to the number of fossil fuels that you use. Doing little things in your everyday life can help reduce your carbon footprint to help pollution and climate change!

Using Less Water

Just as simple as turning the water off when you brush your teeth or taking shorter showers can help reduce the risk of water waste.

Switching To Reusable

Plastic is one of the worst things for our planet due to its inability to decompose. One plastic water bottle will take 450 years to fully decompose. It takes a plastic bag over 500 years to decompose. Switching to reusable bottles and bags will help the future of our Earth!

Driving Less

Cars emit 4.6 tons of carbon dioxide every year. With the weather getting nicer it is easier to bike/ walk to places. This isn’t to say ‘stop driving’ but maybe think if you can walk or bike instead!

Buy Less Fast Fashion

We all know fast fashion is horrible for the environment and one of the biggest pollutants of our time. Take time to research your favorite brand and where they get their materials from. Thrift stores and second-hand shops are a great alternative for helping this!

Reducing Meat Consumption

Now this isn’t me saying to stop eating meat fully, but meat produces billions of tons of carbon dioxide every year which is one of the main things that is causing climate change. Living in the city there are a bunch of vegan options and alternatives for your favorite meals!

This website can help you find your carbon footprint so you can see how much carbon you produce!

Bridget Turro

Manhattan '23

Bridget is a sophomore at Manhattan College. She is majoring in political science and minoring in woman and gender studies. She loves animals, traveling and exploring NYC.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!